Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Late season hunt maybe?

Luckydog1147

I am currently deployed to Europe with the Army. I will return to the states in late October early November. I would really like to try to get an elk hunt in still this year if possible. Mind you I have never hunted elk just whitetail. I am just wondering what state(s) would offer something that late and or if anyone feels this would still be possible? To be honest I don’t have a lot of time nor internet available to escout. But I am willing to go after a cow for my first hunt to get to learn what I am doing. Let me know your guys thoughts.

Montana general season should work, but your time line would be cutting it close. shoulder season would work for sure.

Looking back, I enjoyed my deployments. Good luck and be safe.

Colorado has some good opportunities for you. Lots of units open for OTC 3rd Rifle (bull tag). That season runs Nov. 2-10. There are also units that often have leftovers for 4th season as well (at least one I'm thinking about usually has bull tags leftover). 4th Season runs Nov. 13-17. Good luck in whatever you choose! I have not been too successful in harvesting elk on my trips, but I always have a good time!

I think there are a lot of late season cow opportunities. I think WY may even have some leftover cow tags usually?

I second what barefooter19 said, pick up a cow tag in NM. The state is pretty over lenient with the landowners season dates so you could make something work. Im not sure where you're home of record is but if by chance it's NM then you also get 50% off for being military. Keep in mind if you pay a landowner $500 for the voucher you still have to give the state their cut for the tag. Utah also has limited entry cow tags and that draw is coming up I believe.

Colorado has some good opportunities for you. Lots of units open for OTC 3rd Rifle (bull tag). That season runs Nov. 2-10. There are also units that often have leftovers for 4th season as well (at least one I'm thinking about usually has bull tags leftover). 4th Season runs Nov. 13-17. Good luck in whatever you choose! I have not been too successful in harvesting elk on my trips, but I always have a good time!
Any suggestions for units to look at?

Pretty sure Wyoming offers active combat members general deer and elk tags. Might just be for residents though.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mfrosty6
Back