Know an outfitter ?

barefooter19

The only time I was ever in Wyoming was driving across i 80 one time. I have 4 points for elk and don't know a soul in the state and no friends that can afford to go with me so Im going to hire an outfitter and try to kill an elk with my bow. I want to hunt in the western part of the state using horses and wall tents I don't care how rough it is and Im not really holding out for a huge bull, Im looking for a great hunt. Does anyone know of a good outfitter in the western part of the state I could get ahold of ?
PS...I have heard about the wolfs and the Griz... thats fine if the outfitters good with it I will be too.

There are plenty to choose from. I don't have one I would recommend from experience, but you will draw a general elk tag with 4 points. I'd recommend contacting as many as you can with a list of what is important to you . You mentioned Horses and wall tents. Good start. What really makes or breaks the hunt is how well you get along with the people you are hunting with, so take some time to get to know the outfitter. Ask them if they personally will be in camp. Ask them if they personally will guide you. If not, meet the people you will be with. Trade shows are good for this like the ISE show

Wyoming has a pretty good group of professional outfitters in the Western Part of the state. Get this to get you started on the search:
http://www.wyoga.org/freeissue.html

If I were to hire an outfitter in Western Wyoming for a bow hunt I would want:
Hunt in the month of September
Hunt in a designated wilderness
Camp at least 6 miles from the trailhead (end of motorized transport)
Leave camp in the dark, and be at first calling/glassing spot at daylight.
In a Griz area, retrieve game before that night. Even if it means walking back to camp with meat on saddle horses.
Have a guide experienced in calling elk for bowhunters. Ask them what their typical setup is. ( example: Shooter in front with caller off to the side or behind 50 yards or so.)
Ask them about bear encounters and how they deal with them.
Ask them if they own their own horses or rent them. If they rent them, do they get the same horses each year?
Ask them if they have had any complaints filed against them with the O&G board. If they have ask how it turned out. Some clients are just jerks and some outfitters are too. If they say no, but they have had a complaint. dump that outfitter from your list.
Read the licensing board minutes. Some interesting info in there..
http://outfitters.state.wy.us/meetings.aspx

Ask them what other hunters would be in camp at the same time as you.
If you don't drink or smoke, ask if the guides or other hunters do. Tell them if that is a problem for you.
Ask what years the photos they show you are from. Look closely for repeats of animals with different people in them.
Also look for repeat people with different animals (this is a good sign, it means repeat customers)
Talk to folks who have hunted with them before.

I just looked them up on the Tanglerigdeoutfitters.com website and they look like a very good operation. They hunt elk up in the BigHorn Mountains where there are no grizzly bears and their elk section says the average bull to be expected is up to about 320", which is a nice bull and they aren't trying to say that you're going to take a monster with them. I like that when an outfitter is up front and doesn't promise you the earth, moon, and stars, LOL! Their prices also look pretty decent and since I hunt the Bighorns every year I can tell you it's a fantastic, beautiful area with plenty of game. In fact, they also have a couple different summer horseback pack trips that I may call them about, as I've always wanted to do that up in those mountains. They are very reasonably priced at only $275 to $300 per person per day depending on the number in your party and I don't think you can beat that. Good luck in whatever you come up with!

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
PerezA
Back