Kansas Muleys

I’ve got family in Hill City and I’ve spent a fair bit of time in NW Kansas for a NR. My great uncle started the local DU chapter up there and ran a bar in Hill City for many years. There’s a carp derby that he organized that they named after him when he passed away a few years back.

My family out there always complains about the amount of WTs they see that are broken off after the rut. Seems to be a common thing out there.

Definitely following…

Good luck!

I’ve got family in Hill City and I’ve spent a fair bit of time in NW Kansas for a NR. My great uncle started the local DU chapter up there and ran a bar in Hill City for many years. There’s a carp derby that he organized that they named after him when he passed away a few years back.

Definitely following…

Good luck!
I have friends in Hill City that I made while doing sports and 4-H. I’m fairly certain one of them has done that derby you mention. Small world.

Thanks!

If only I could get myself a deer. My buddy’s pretty happy after the 30 minutes we spent hunting this morning lol

Hammers worked very well. He’s now killed more deer with my rifle than I have.

My uncle who I’m hunting with tomorrow has seen a couple dandies this morning:

1EBADC91-A202-4463-B52C-8FDB480BAAC2.jpeg
3DD689A5-6DF0-4189-BCDC-AAEFF339D9FC.jpeg

Waiting til the last minute of the last day maximized the value of your tag. Way to go! Nice buck too...!!!
Oh shoot I realize how the lighting can be tricky. I shot that at 8:20 this morning. Had to drive all the way back to KC for work after taking care of the carcass so I didn’t get to post this til now. I’m workin on the writeup because my adrenaline made me forget a lot

I’m ecstatic about the buck. It was the best possible outcome

Last edited:
Oh shoot I realize how the lighting can be tricky. I shot that at 8:20 this morning. Had to drive all the way back to KC for work after taking care of the carcass so I didn’t get to post this til now. I’m workin on the writeup because my adrenaline made me forget a lot

I’m ecstatic about the buck. It was the beat possible outcome
that's okay, we will let it slide. This time....

Just kidding. Way to go. First minute or last minute of the season doesn't matter if the deer is what you want and that's a dandy.

We were out for about an hour and a half this morning. Saw a giant on some land that we didn’t have permission on… rats.

Then went to this parcel and looked into the gully and I spotted 5 does. Uncle decides to move forward to see if we can draw any out that were hiding along the face that we couldn’t see. That worked. More and more does piled in.

So I crept forward to see if there were more that would show themselves and two bucks popped out. This one and a 2x2 forky.

Had to get my composure under control and then took a frontal shot using yucca as a rest at 235 yards. Nailed the heart. Down right there, first time ever

418B0831-736E-4AC4-8B37-F5A6547ABD90.jpeg

The Hammer Hunter didn’t do any meat damage whatsoever and my uncle was very impressed with that. I think he’s thinking about converting to em after that.

64D574B6-1FB7-459B-B4EE-86E37CBEDF62.jpeg

The deer had a broken tine which made me want him more. Has a history behind it.

This was fun.

Other pics:
406541D7-6049-4138-93B2-D63316ED6293.jpeg7D78D45B-F8EA-40C5-8AC4-2DD9A53582A9.jpeg42A38A49-C04E-4F23-ABDD-FD12D6AABC92.jpeg86F4D040-B2A7-42BE-A2FF-56C90E270F34.jpeg

Last edited:
Guess what gang?
It’s time for day 3:

Lots. Of. Deer. It was beautiful out today. No wind, 44°. I was in a t-shirt.

My dad and I went to a Kansas-owned area this morning and on the way, we saw a big pronghorn buck. Good sign.

When we got there, we were immediately greeted by two muley does crossing the road. Also a good sign.

Driving into the property, I saw a forky whitetail chasing a mule deer doe. Guess he likes em big.

Met some guys who told us there was a herd of 19 does with a pretty decent muley in it over yonder, so we thanked em and headed that way.

When we got to the northern edge of the property, we saw a big deer a half mile away, so we stalked within 200 yards of it. I got it to stand and realized it was just a huge doe. Probably would have shot it if I realized it was a whitetail. That was a lot of meat. I let it pass though.

On the way back, a little too late, we saw a deer off the road. I glass it up and it was a HUGE whitetail buck, but it only had one antler. That one antler had 5 tall tines. So I tried to sneak my way onto the property. It was already alerted to my presence though so it scampered off. Big ol friggin deer.

But I’m going home empty handed for now. Next weekend I’m hunting with my buddy where we’ve both killed decent bucks, albeit whitetails. Maybe a muley’ll step out.

I’m ecstatic about today. Didn’t even need something. I saw about 20 deer.

Didn’t take any pics today. Too much action. Here’s a picture of Matthew:

View attachment 253566
Heated floor?

Awesome! Glad you were able to stretch the hunt out and capitalize on your opportunity. Congratulations on the buck!

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back