PEAX Equipment

Just got a Christensen Arms Ridgeline in .308, for anyone that has this rifle.......

Arrow Guru

I have archery hunted exclusively since 2000. After hunting out west several times and learning about the OTC and easy to draw tags in rifle seasons I bought a rifle. I do not collect guns, every one I have serves a purpose. So I wanted a very good rifle and a do all caliber. After reading a lot, ( I have a good knowledge of guns and calibers working in the industry ) I decided that I wanted a short action with manageable recoil. Several people suggested a 30-06 for a do all caliber but the average difference in velocity with the same bullet weight in factory ammo is about 300 FPS. This wasn't worth the long action and extra recoil. SO having said all that my question is this. What have you guys found in factory ammo that the ridgeline .308 seems to like? I want to settle on one bullet for whitetails, mule deer and elk. So 150 +. The 150 is actually close to the 168 and actually does a little better at longer ranges. I want a doo all bullet. So what I would like to use is a Nosler partition or Accubond, A Barnes X 150 all copper which I think you can only get in the Barnes brand ammo now. Just looking what you guys have been successful with.

The extra 300fps is what a real rifle is all about.
Definitely worth it at 400+ distances.
The .308 is a great caliber though. I have found the 150gr. bullets to be about the right weight , for all around hunting. The 165gr. is not bad either. But it slows it down enough to make it more important to range targets precisely.

For "factory" ammo.. Federal 165gr trophy bonded worked well for a friends Idaho and CO elk. It shot well out of his Rem 700.

I don't have that rifle, and do own a 30-06, but have never been let down by Federal Fusion. Typically that drives tacks in most rifles. I personally handload as well and that's my avenue of shooting nicer bullets, so I unfortunately can't help with advice in any premium loads. I don't think you can really go wrong with anything with Nosler or Hornady on the box. Others will probably disagree.

Congrats on the rifle by the way! I think you'll have a lot of fun with it.

Horse is spot on...165 gr. boatail all animals Javelina,Deer And Elk.
Heck Dad pulled down a Buffalo!:cool:
.308 long distance mayhem.

All my ammo Hand Loaded.
Target out to 1000yds... Elk out to 300yds.
Ethical hunting100%:cool:

i was in your same boat and went with the 165g Federal premium trophy bonded tip. my rifle liked it a lot better than the 180g offering. easily sub MOA 5 shots groups. I've shot multiple deer both big and small and it performed very well. I have no doubt it will work very well on Elk as well. I believe this bullet is the best of both worlds. quick expanding tip, with solid copper shank for penetration. it also has a high ballistic coefficient for longer range shots. its not expensive either. I found them on sale for way under $30 on midwayusa so i bought lots

I’ll echo the above. I use 180 grain Trophy Bonded Tip in my .300 Win mag and it’s very lethal and accurate.

I shoot a Ridgeline in 308. I have found the following ammo to work the best out of my rifle.

Hunting: Barnes TTSX 168 gr
Paper Punching: Federal Gold Medal Match 168 gr

I tried Hornady 165 SST and 178 gr ELDx and was unable to get the rifle to maintain groups of any sort. That was sad because I like Hornady ammo alot... And those two shoot well out another 308 I have.
I would like to try the Nosler ammo, that is good stuff..

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back