Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Jetboil alternatives

I have some REI credits and the 20% coupon they had got burned on a Snow Peak Mini Solo Cookset. I haven't ordered a new stove quite yet. I have a Primus multi-fuel system ready for burning random fuel or canister fuel. I'll get an MSR PocketRocket (man I hate writing those words together because they definitely mean something else on the internet)

My boss has a cheap Amazon portable stove and uses the hell out of it for the last 4 or 5 years. He said it was an emergency backup to a multifuel setup and decided to keep using it. For $11 I think 1 will end up in my box too.

I have a whisperlite as well, great for winter/elevation or for places were canisters aren’t readily available, though I haven’t found that location yet… hell they had them on Adak.
Whisperlite saved the day on our last trip....my coleman stove at basecamp was acting up so we balanced a 5-gal pot on the whisperlite and boiled enough water to heat our vac-packed meals for three guys.

Otherwise would've been eating mtn house 20 feet from the truck. :sick:

the new gizmo that allows you to combine canisters is a life changer, I was finally able to get rid of my backlog of partial canisters that were relegated to making coffee at the truck, and I suspect you could also just buy a giant canister and fill small ones out of it for a long time, if you're not melting snow a tiny canister goes a long way...
I had no idea these existed! Total game changer!!!

I just saw one as a targeted ad on facebook or maybe even another hunting forum. They seem pricey but then again not carrying 2 half bottles is quite annoying.
Amazonia has them for like $15. Would be nice to combine all the partials I’ve been collecting for that small investment.

This is my setup. It’s an evernew pasta pot 1000, MSR pocket rocket, small lighter, handkerchief, 4oz fuel bottle, and sea to summit 12oz x tumbler. 6B0D5521-A87C-4C37-A2E3-9A127B634AAA.jpeg

I use an MSR Windburner probably 95% of the time. I really appreciate the wind protection, more than I thought I would. I guess I can’t promise you wouldn’t have a taste from it, I’ve never noticed it though.
^also makes a great hand warm, sock dried, and smore cooker.

I rocked the cheap pocket rocket-eke stoves for a while, but the windburner has been an improvement in all regards... except there's not lighter, and by the end of a hunt I no longer have any hair on my knuckles.

I bought a Jet Boil when they first came out around 2001. I still have it and it still works (at least it did during it's last outing) after many years of use, although I haven't used it in over a decade. Truth is, I'm not a fan of canister stoves. Good luck finding a canister in a remote area or if SHTF. Plus the butane canisters work like garbage when in below freezing temps. I typically like my kit to be multi-use and versatile as possible. I now use a Optimus Hiker+. It's been around a long time and is a great multi-fuel stove.
I have a pocket rocket and multi-fuel stove (MSR Dragonfly). Had both for over a decade. Won't be needing new ones any time soon

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
theghostbull
Back