Caribou Gear

Jb Deer

i had seen this buck about three weeks before i killed him.......i was driving down the driveway on this farm when i caught sigth of him with the headlgts of the truck, i didnt see his horns but i new it was a good buck or at least a big bodied deer.....i had guessed this deer went 250 lbs or so.

we had our early black powder season coming and i hoped he would show himself then..........he had deep scrapes all around the edge of this farm, i had set up on a spot that looked to be his favorite,there were six or eigth scrapes within 30 yrds of each other.

i didnt see any deer feeding in the field that evening which is unusual.
this buck came out at last light right where i had expected him to.
i was on the other side of a small pond set up in a ground blind. he came out and worked a couple scapes at about 30 yrds from me, i couldnt get on him till he started to walk to his next scrape which was straight out in front of me. he was almost up to his scrape where i would of had a clear shot when he stoped.....he knew something wasnt quite right and stoped just behind some pine trees blocking my shot on him........i sat there waiting and waiting...seemed like an hour but it was more like a minute.....i figured he was about to bolt so i took the only shot i had which was a four inch opening between these two pine trees......he jumped straight up in the air and came back down landing flat on his chin with his two front shoulder broke...he plowed around in the bean field for a min before taking his last breath.........we weighed him with his guts still in...he went just over 260 lbs..a real nice 9 point with heavy horns.......was i happy? maybe a tad!

i checked his scrapes again last sunday just for shits and giggles......there is another buck working his favorite spot....i guess he feels safe with big boy gone now.....maybe i'll welcome him to the neighborhood hump , the saturday after thanxgiving is our rifle season, wish me luck, JB

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back