Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

Iowa Late Archery Season Regulation

HighDesertSage

Can some of you Iowa guys school me real quick on a reg I just heard about. My neighbor told me that you can use a crossbow in the late archery/muzzleloader season. Where I am confused is, and I can't find it in the regs, do you have to have a muzzleloader tag to use a crossbow? Or can I hunt with a crossbow with an archery tag, in the late season? I am going to also call DNR this week if I can. Thanks!

I don’t know for sure, but i would guess you need a muzz tag. The only way you can use a crossbow for archery season in Iowa is if you have a medical exemption.

Thats a fairly new regulation.....I just read the regs for the first time since they added crossbows to the list of legal methods for residents during the late muzzleloader season.

I agree it's not clear if you can use a crossbow with an Archery tag as a resident during Late Muzzleloader season, or if you'd have to purchase a Late Muzzleloader tag.

Post update after talking w DNR?

Unless something has changed in the Iowa regs that I am not aware of you need a muzzle loader tag to use a crossbow during the late muzzleloader/archery season. The other way you can use a crossbow during archery season is if you have a medical exemption from your doctor. To be sure I would contact the DNR.

Thanks for the feedback fellas. I’ll follow up after I call the DNR this week. But it would make sense that you cannot use one unless you have the muzzleloader tag.

ML tag. One of the ideas behind this is if you hunt somewhere where firearms are not permitted you can get a second buck that year on the ML tag (in addition to an archery buck)

I agree it makes the most sense on ML tag....and @ElkFever2 comment makes sense as well. I do think the regs could use some clarification language (not that it really makes a difference to me bc I don't own a crossbow anyway)

Will be interested to see what you learn from DNR

Crossbow can be used on Late Muzz tag only. You can also use a bow or pistol of the approved caliber. Archery tag is still good but as others have said you have to have Doc's exemption to use a cross bow on an archery tag.

1608565973468.pngOn page 38 of the regulations it says a crossbow is legal for residents witha late muzzleloader tag. I am not seeing anything about non residents. I would call the conservation officer for the county you are hunting and clarify. Their numbers are on page 52. If you need any further help message me and I will be happy to help with any Iowa deer hunting questions the best I can.
1608566276722.png

Thanks Geller. I have a VM into my counties CO. I will let you know.

I did read that reg, and I am leaning towards you must have a valid muzzie tag to use the crossbow, but ill post up what he says.

Thanks Geller. I have a VM into my counties CO. I will let you know.

I did read that reg, and I am leaning towards you must have a valid muzzie tag to use the crossbow, but ill post up what he says.
With today being the first day after the shotgun seasons in Iowa most of the C.O.’s are off after working for nearly 2 weeks straight. If you don’t hear back today don’t be alarmed.

Just an update. The only way other than a medical exemption for use of crossbow is you are able to get a crossbow antlerless tag @ 65 years old that is valid during the entire archery split season, state wide, and does not count against the allotted “antlerless county quota tags”.

Just went through all this with my day. If I remember right you can hunt on a regular archery either-sex with a crossbow @70 years of age. I’m a longs way out but just listened to Conservation Officer explain them to dad so I can try to help keep him out of trouble. SHM

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tmich05
Back