PEAX Equipment

In reach mini or messenger

Bob-WY

Late last year I lost my In reach mini. Carabiner came up hooked and at some point it dropped off.

Looking to replace it I came across a new garmin device called messenger. I ONLY use it as a text path to my wife while hunting in the mountains.

Looks like messenger is a dumbed down text and SOS tool, but no easy way to attach to a backpack.

$100 cheaper too.

Anyone k ow if the Bluetooth to phone will work if it's in my pack or in a pocket?

Other thoughts...

BT should work from your pocket or pack. Your phone is right there, close.

After two seasons, I FINALLY figured out how to text my wife. But since it took me two years to do so, she bought into the "no news is good news" sales pitch.

David
NM

I like having redundancy of my GPS systems. onX is my main tool. A Garmin eTrex is my backup. And the Inreach Mini is the backup to the backup.

Late last year I lost my In reach mini. Carabiner came up hooked and at some point it dropped off.

Looking to replace it I came across a new garmin device called messenger. I ONLY use it as a text path to my wife while hunting in the mountains.

Looks like messenger is a dumbed down text and SOS tool, but no easy way to attach to a backpack.

$100 cheaper too.

Anyone k ow if the Bluetooth to phone will work if it's in my pack or in a pocket?

Other thoughts...
I bought a Messenger last fall and used it on a solo elk hunt in Colorado. Very happy with this purchase. The Bluetooth connection to my phone was 100% reliable with the unit in a pocket inside my backpack. My wife really appreciated the frequent "all is good" texts that I would send to her that included a link to a map that showed her exactly where i was on that mountain. This went a long way toward giving my wife some peace of mind. When friends asked her "where is John?" she would pull out her phone and show them a satellite image with a pin on my location. She had some fun with that. I highly recommend the Messenger.

... The Bluetooth connection to my phone was 100% reliable with the unit in a pocket inside my backpack. ...
Could it send the periodic tracking updates while in your pack, or did it need a clear view of the sky for that?

Could it send the periodic tracking updates while in your pack, or did it need a clear view of the sky for that?
Mixed results. The pocket that I used in my pack was on the top of my pack and faced the sky (but not directly up). It seemed to send updates/texts when I was in an area open to the sky. Updates were not reliably happening when I was under a heavy canopy. I also tried putting the Messenger in a pocket of my binocular pack on a tether. This made it very easy to pull the Messenger out and give it a clear view of the sky whenever I stopped to glass. This will likely be my future go-to set up for my Messenger. Hope that is helpful.

BT should work from your pocket or pack. Your phone is right there, close.

After two seasons, I FINALLY figured out how to text my wife. But since it took me two years to do so, she bought into the "no news is good news" sales pitch.

David
NM
You guys touched on a point many of us married guys deal with. I think there is a delicate balance there. We want our freedom when hunting but understand they need to know we’re OK. Mine seems to be OK with one InReach text every evening. I just use the preset messages. Takes 10 seconds. I like that feature

I use it.mostly for "happy wife" reasons.

Send one when I leave the truck so she k ows exactly where I start, then when back to the truck. Other than that, if I shoot an elk late in the day, I wont be getting home anywhere close to normal time, so letting her know all is good, I just won't be home anytime soon, keeps her from panic

Sounds like the messenger is worth seriously considering

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rds
Back