If Sturgeon spearing is lost, I may have to go spear somrone behind it!

Yes indeed unfortunate. The reality is this: It is BETTER for the resource (survival of the sturgeon) to keep them UNLISTED. The folks that watch the sturgeon spawn on the Wolf River each spring (think of the type of folks that go to Yellowstone to look at the Grizzlies, Bison, etc.) aren't the ones providing the funding that does exist in this state to help the resource. The Center for Biological Diversity along with other conservation organizations would have helped the resource more by taking the money they put into the lawsuit and other causes and instead directly donating it to the WDNR where they could have further funded their programs for improvement of the waterbodies with Sturgeon.

Isn't that a sad reality about our society?

Except that if listed, there are likely more funds available for restoration.

Losing the fishery would be a massive blow to the sturgeon's social acceptance, and that's a huge part of the matrix that has to be considered.

Federal funding for ESA activities comes out of the DOI budget. If listed, it's then a federal issue and they have to pay for it. The budget could always get sqwee-haed, but generally the Service is better funded on these issues than states.

If the states get co-management like they have with bears in the northern rockies, then you effectively add the federal funds to the state funding that exists.

Federal funding for ESA activities comes out of the DOI budget. If listed, it's then a federal issue and they have to pay for it. The budget could always get sqwee-haed, but generally the Service is better funded on these issues than states.

If the states get co-management like they have with bears in the northern rockies, then you effectively add the federal funds to the state funding that exists.
I'd be interested in knowing some actual dollar amounts here and comparing. Not sure how easy that would be to make some assumptions and figure it out. Guess I have homework tonight.

I heard it on the radio this morning.

For some reason I doubt that it’s over. These groups usually reevaluate and come from a different angle.
Yes they might but this is a huge win for scientific management of wildlife in WI along with the extremely passionate group of sportsman that live and die for these beasts.

Yes they might but this is a huge win for scientific management of wildlife in WI along with the extremely passionate group of sportsman that live and die for these beasts.
If you or anyone ever gets the chance go to the Genoa National Fish Hatchery and tour hatchery where the sturgeon are reared for stocking all over the U.S. they also let volunteers tag fish at certain times of the year.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Avidsomething
Back