Idaho Unit 39 elk

Lkuhn22

Just want to hear some thoughts on how to pursue elk in unit 39? Never hunted elk before but I do have plenty of hunting experience. I’m open to all ideas. Thanks.

Lots and lots of people and decent elk numbers. PM me and I'm happy to give you a locals thoughts on your plan and some places I'd start looking if you're open to sharing info that way.

Just so you know, mostly guys kill younger bulls in the unit due to all the pressure.

Lots and lots of people and decent elk numbers. PM me and I'm happy to give you a locals thoughts on your plan and some places I'd start looking if you're open to sharing info that way.

Just so you know, mostly guys kill younger bulls in the unit due to all the pressure.

I'm going to be hunting elk in 39 this November for the first time I usually hunt in northern Nevada. any tips you would be willing to share, elevations to look at and what they like to eat?
I know its a busy unit and plan on getting off the road any tips would be much appreciated.

Howdy. I just purchased my unit 39 elk and deer tags. I also have never hunted this unit. I usually hunt E WA and Montana. Wondering if you would be willing to share any information. Anything is appreciated. Thank you

I live and hunt elk in 39. Go look at the success rates - 12% to 18% each year. 40% of the kills are spikes. I know where the elk live and I have to hunt hard to get a bull in front of me.

I’ve killed bulls opening day and have gone all season without a good chance. I shoot spikes for meat when I see them.

The countryside is steep, but all of Idaho elk country is steep.

I didn’t really see too people this year but I was hiking into rough country. The NR reduction actually looks like it worked in 39.

It’s a tough hunt. I’d probably hunt elsewhere but I like sleeping in my bed on cold nights.

Last edited:
I live and hunt elk in 39. Go look at the success rates - 12% to 18% each year. 40% of the kills are spikes. I know where the elk live and I have to hunt hard to get a bull in front of me.

I’ve killed bulls opening day and have gone all season without a good chance. I shoot spikes for meat when I see them.

The countryside is steep, but all of Idaho elk country is steep.

I didn’t really see too people this year but I was hiking into rough country. The NR reduction actually looks like it worked in 39.

It’s a tough hunt. I’d probably hunt elsewhere but I like sleeping in my bed at night on cold nights.
Thanks. I appreciate the info. I am planning to park my rig and hike in a few miles to attempt to get away from people.

Back