Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Idaho Muzzy Deer 51-1

Camdu7

Hey Guys,

So I drew an Idaho muzzle-loader deer tag in unit 51 and the east half of 50. The season runs the month of Nov and I plan on hunting the week of thanksgiving. I have been doing my research and have am planning on the deer being down in the valley at that time likely around the ag in the area. I have the Lyman GPH all ready to go. Does anyone have any experience hunting the unit? I hope to camp and not have to drive to a hotel. Assuming that the forest will be socked in with snow are there any decent areas to camp in the valleys? Anything else unusual or unique about the unit? Thanks.

Some of the largest deer that I've ever seen were in that unit around that time of year. There's some FS campgrounds in there I think. Just never used them.

I elk hunt a lot in that unit and have never seen a deer that I would get excited about. Lots of trail cameras and summer scouting with very few deer. Never been over there late season though.

I suppose I should give an update on my hunt. My wife and coworker joined me on the trip as packer/spotters. Our hunt out there was only 3.5 days just after Thanksgiving due to commitments. There wasn't much snow so the deer were still way up on top. We spent a lot of time behind the 15x binos and the spotter glassing the south facing slopes and mahoganies from a ways off. We managed to find 30-50 deer a day with a few being bucks and lots of elk. Found a nice buck (heavy 4 pt. with a big body) the second evening and decided to wait till morning as he was 2,400' feet above us and it was late. Came back the next morning and found him. Put him to bed and climbed up to him. He moved bedding spots as we climbed and we ended up bumping him out. He stopped at 160 years but with a peep sight ML I did't feel confident in the shot. Tried to get closed and blew him over the mountain. On the last afternoon we had camp packed in the truck and were glassing till dark. Found a smaller 4pt. a ways off and climbed our way up there through fog banks and got within 100 yards and was able to make a good shot. Meat in the freezer and a great adventure. The Lost River Range is steep and the Lemhi's are not much better. The country is out of this world beautiful. Met some great ID folks on the two tracks and around the camp site.

Attachments

• 2018 ID Muzzy Deer.jpeg
    2018 ID Muzzy Deer.jpeg
    99.1 KB · Views: 190
  • 20181125_163340.jpg
    20181125_163340.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 180
  • 20181127_111147.jpg
    20181127_111147.jpg
    3.2 MB · Views: 134
  • 20181127_111933.jpg
    20181127_111933.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 131
  • 20181128_094304.jpg
    20181128_094304.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 158
@Camdu7 that is a great success story!! Sounds like it was a fun hunt with your wife and coworker. I drew this muzzy tag for Unit 51 this year (2020). If you have any suggestions on hunting this unit, that would be greatly appreciated sir! :)

@Camdu7 that is a great success story!! Sounds like it was a fun hunt with your wife and coworker. I drew this muzzy tag for Unit 51 this year (2020). If you have any suggestions on hunting this unit, that would be greatly appreciated sir! :)
Uncle killed a spectacular whitetail on this hunt a few years back. Farmer said he was kicking all the mule deer's ass. If you want, pm me and I can send you some waypoints. I'll be putting in for this tag in on the second draw

King B,

Glass the south facing slopes and mahoganies from the bottom and then climb up above them. If you have some specific questions just shoot me a PM and I'll help out with what I know.

My brother-in-law and I both drew this hunt this year and my husband had it last year. He had a blast and I'm really excited that I get my chance this year. We will be making it a family affair and rented a house in Mackay, hopefully taking a babysitter along for my 3 year old and 10 month old kiddos.

My brother-in-law and I both drew this hunt this year and my husband had it last year. He had a blast and I'm really excited that I get my chance this year. We will be making it a family affair and rented a house in Mackay, hopefully taking a babysitter along for my 3 year old and 10 month old kiddos.

Congrats on you and your brother-in-law drawing this tag as well!! How did your husbands hunt go last year? That sounds like it will be a fun family adventure with the family. That is a good idea to have a rental in Mackay. I am thinking of finding a good central located campground.

Anyone looking for a campground, let me know. I know a few in that area. I can give way points.

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jahmes143
Back