Idaho Fall Bear Baiting

NV_ARCH3R

Toying with the idea of placing a couple baits out over labor day weekend, and hunt the following week. Anyone had much luck baiting in the fall. Biggest draw back it's a 6 hr drive from here to there, gas prices are way up, I'd just cold camp in the tent to set the baits, and pull the trailer up to hunt. trying to decide if it's even worth the time and effort, and gas?

Setting a bait in a new spot and expecting bears within a week could be a tough one. May have more luck looking for a berry patch or two and looking for bears that way

Setting a bait in a new spot and expecting bears within a week could be a tough one. May have more luck looking for a berry patch or two and looking for bears that way
This would be where I baited this spring and had bears coming in, just nothing I wanted at the time. Also wondering if Deer/Elk hunters in the area would make them nocturnal. Though where I would plan to bait is probably lower country then those guys would be hunting. But I have the time and a bad day hunting is always better than a good day at work.

I decided to go ahead and set baits. I made the 6 hour drive to an undisclosed area in Idaho labor day weekend and set two bait sites. Then made the 6 hour drive home.
Went back the next weekend to begin a weeks hunt. Bait 1 had a Sow and two cubs cleaning it out, had a couple other bears come by, but mom and the kids had the cupboard bae so I pulled it. On bait two I had a small bear hitting it, but being the only bait site I had left I started sitting it in the evenings. On the second evening a bear came in I thought looked pretty good. Almost passed him up still learning to judge bears. Heavy blocky snout, check, ears wide set and low, check, crease in the forehead, no, but when I saw him next to the barrel I decided to take him. Taxidermist says he's a really good Idaho bear.

Attachments

• DSC01391.JPG
    DSC01391.JPG
    5.6 MB · Views: 40
That's a much better bear than I normally see come from Idaho. I'd say you did well.

Toying with the idea of placing a couple baits out over labor day weekend, and hunt the following week. Anyone had much luck baiting in the fall. Biggest draw back it's a 6 hr drive from here to there, gas prices are way up, I'd just cold camp in the tent to set the baits, and pull the trailer up to hunt. trying to decide if it's even worth the time and effort, and gas?
I hope this is cool on this site. I pump restaurant grease traps for a living, and I have access to as many metal barrels as I want. I have waste fry oil from a couple of donut shops, a ton of rancid grease from traps, and I can set up barrels for kitchen scraps too. If I made bait barrels and had 5 gallons of oil, 5 gallons of grease, and 5 gallons of kitchen scraps, as a package deal, do you think there is a market for that?

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Stravic
Back