Idaho Elk Zone Update

HuntDon

As most of you know IDFG instituted a cap for each zone for non-resident elk tags. Just wanted to see if you guys noticed less hunting pressure? Do you feel like the NR cap had a positive effect on pressure? I will say that I thought the Lemhi zone seemed less busy.

I hunted 39 and thought I saw less NRs and hunters. I know other guys were complaining about hunter numbers but I never saw a guy in the field after six days of elk hunting. I did not see any NR plates either. I’d normally see a few NR plates at trailheads. What I saw represents a very narrow portion of the unit.

The zone I hunted has been seeing an increase in resident archery hunters for years. Additionally with the cap structure it was able to have more non resident hunters in 2021 than 2020. I hunted a pretty small area and had residents park next to me and hunt right on top of me multiple days

Chatting with folks in my zone the consensus was less NR's but more hunted days. Lots of NR's camped/spike out for the duration of the tag rather than hunting for a week to 10 days like is used to be.

PEAX Trekking Poles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back