Idaho Deer Suggestions

kyle m

Hey guys,

My dad and I are planning on making a trip to Idaho to hunt deer this fall. I have been researching as much as possible and Im struggling to settle on an area. I understand the northern part of the state is mostly whitetail and the southern 2/3 or so is better mule deer hunting.

We are looking for a unit we can get a general any weapon tag in. Ideally we would be able to find an area that holds good numbers of deer. We are not trophy hunters by any means and we would just like an opportunity at a decent buck. I guess what I am trying to say is numbers are more important than quality. We would also like to find a unit where we can get away from the crowds (if possible), but yet I still don't want to kill the old timer. He is in great shape, but I don't know that the something Frank Church Wilderness is reasonable. Having said that, we're willing to put a bunch of miles on, just hopefully not straight up and down.

What about unit 21A or unit 30? They seem to have decent success and relatively low hunter numbers.

Also 29 and 37A?

Im just looking for a little help on picking a unit or two. It seems like the more I look, the more confused and frustrated I get! Feel free to PM me if you are willing to give me a couple tips.

Those units still have some very steep country! The whole Salmon area is pretty intense country, that being said, there is a ton of public land in those units as well and I have seen some decent critters from friends who hunt those areas, so you guys might be able to find some less intense areas to hunt. In Idaho, as long as you buy a regular deer tag, you can hunt any open "General Any Weapon" season listed under the general deer tag regulations. I don't know if you are willing to hop units, but since those units border each other you could hunt any one of those units with the one tag.

Hello,
My name is Darrin Hodgkiss im the owner of Big D Outfitters and Consultants. We are a hunting consulting firm, linking hunters with there dream hunts. I believe you are on the right track. Unit 30 is an outstanding unit with good potiential for a decent buck. Also take a look at 37b right out
Of chalis. It is an outstanding unit. Great potiential for a great buck. Good luck this season.

Darrin

I know this thread is a couple weeks old but I'm trying to plan the same thing for my son and I, in these area's you mention is the camping area's readily available or is it just find a spot in forest and make your own etc. what should I expect..

I know this thread is a couple weeks old but I'm trying to plan the same thing for my son and I, in these area's you mention is the camping area's readily available or is it just find a spot in forest and make your own etc. what should I expect..

IF you are on BLM or Forest Service land, find a wide spot in the road, or drive up a spur road a few 100 yards.

Throw your sleeping bags and tent out, and enjoy an amazing experience with your son.

As long as you aren't driving off roads, you can lay your head in 99.999999% of Idaho's public federal lands without a care, concern, or question.

As usual Jose is right on track. Plenty of public land and places to camp though there are restrictions regarding off road motor vehicle use. You might want to consider the Bear River Range in southeast Idaho. The number of deer I viewed today in my preopener scouting was absolutely amazing (or should I say astounding), deer everywhere. In all my years of hunting this area I've never seen so many deer. Plenty of places to camp, not many hunters and the chance to kill some large, if not very large, deer. You couldn't ask for more.

Thanks for the help fellas. Unfortunately my trip will be pushed back until next year due to work. I guess the good thing is I will have a few more months to plan things out! I sincerely appreciate the help.

Sorry Bro about the delayed response. I'm out scouting for tomorrow's opener. Units 71 through 77 are all general hunts. I think 78 is a controlled allocated hunt for outfitters but I don't hunt there, no need to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CrownDitch
Back