Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Idaho 20a

TheOnlyWalton

My First Post!

I am looking at hunting a new area this year.
Idaho unit 20a from Sept 13-20 2013 to be precise.
I am hoping I can get some information about access and geography for that area. I am interested in flying in via air taxi to one of the landing strips, then covering lots of ground on foot to find the elk.
I also understand that predation has had major impacts in that area, but I can not seem to find any first hand experience about male elk populations.
Any information at all about that specific unit would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Walton

Idaho fish and game website has harvest stats. This is more important to me than bull population. I want to know if the average guy can kill a bull.
Are you an experienced elk hunter? Have you hiked many miles in this type of country? Tell us about you're self.

The terrain is not too big a concern, we are very healthy, fit, mountaineers. The snake river unit (hells canyon) of Oregon I hunted last year is real BiG. Lots of up and down and side hill. Multiple 2500 ft elevation changes in a day.
We've got tags for elk, deer, bear, wolf, mountain lion, and upland bird. Hunting elk, but hoping for everything.

Successful Elk, Idaho 20a (middle fork Unit)

Hey Guys, Here is an update on my Idaho 20A Elk Hunt.

Flew into Cold Meadows Air Strip on September 13. Hiked 40 miles over next 5 days and saw NO Sign of Elk. We worked the higher elevations, 8000-8500, and saw nothing. We worked our way West and north where we ended up down in a wet, thick forested hole at the intersection of Dismal and Starvation Creek. This is where our Elk was found.

The Elk at this time of year appear to be in the cool, wet thick holes where they are sheltered, have food, and water. The heard we came across must have been less than 12 elk total. One big bull was in the deep thick shit, and two satellite bulls were up higher (that is what we took).

Over our 8 day trip, we covered 60 miles, and killed our elk 8 miles away from our base camp. The animals are here, but they are scared. We never saw a wolf/bear/cat but the elk are scared of them. They are quiet, and hiding in these holes.

I will give another more detailed update later.

Attachments

• Trey with Antlers at Spike Camp Tent.JPG
    Trey with Antlers at Spike Camp Tent.JPG
    54.3 KB · Views: 1,143

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
muleydude
Back