Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I got drawn and I need HELP

roytax

I got drawn for turkey in Arizona for the fall hunt mid Oct. I have a lot of questions since I have never hunted turkey befor. Can you call them in the fall like you can in spring? Also should I use decoys that late in the year? What size shot should I be using? I plan to use a box call if you can call them that late in the year. Like I said this is the first time to hunt turkey and my dad is also going (he got a tag also) I would realy like to get it right. I don't know how many more years he will be hunting. Thanks in advance Roytax

roytax,

I had the best luck by glassing the edges of meadows and then sneaking up on the birds. Calling won't work well unless you scatter the birds first because they are not mating at this time of year. When they scatter they will call to each other and then you can call them back as they re-group. For shot I like #4 magnums and some would say it's too small but I like my little 20 ga.

Take care,
RK97168.jpg

Got this one in unit 1

What unit did you draw? I drew a 12a turkey tag for october. It's a great time of year to be in the woods! I'll probably be using this hunt more for a scouting trip for my deer hunt in November than anything else. Usually on the fall hunts we'll sit water holes that have some good sign around them. Calling isn't very effective this time of year. Glassing, hiking, sitting water holes are your best bets for the fall.

Thanks to all of the help. I got a lot of usefull info from all of you. I got drawen for unit 6A I have seen a number of turkeys in that unit during my elk hunts the last three years. They always seem to be in the same location each year. But if they are anything like deer and elk they will move by opening day. Thanks agen Roy

Both of you guys got great turkey tags...
roytax most of the turkeys i have seen in unit 6a are off stoneman lake road from i-17
follow it east until it comes to a y.. take a right and follow 1.4 mile befor the school house ( for hard to deal with kids) tahts also on the right... there is a little wash thru there that goes to a stk tank on the south side of the road... walk along that wash and you should do ok..

Angler if your interested i can give you a book load of places for your area..lots and lots of turkeys there.... email me if ya want.

azkiotes is right on during the fall hunt..

Delw

Back