Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

I feel so lucky -

Calif. Hunter

I have recently been voted into a local sportmen's club that has been around since 1946 or '48. They own a few acres locally, that some far-sighted members in the past set up to generate income. The club pulls in about $12,000 a month from its investments (!) so the dues are under $50 a year - and they have an underground range for members only. Now it only has one shooting station with a built-in bench, but I have yet to run into someone else using it. Full lights, fans, pre-set stations at 50 feet, 25 yards, 50 yards and 100 yards. You can even set up a reloading press on the bench if you want to experiment with loads. An Oehler chrono is available, too. There are fans to cool your rifle barrel as it sits it the rifle rack.

The club also owns a couple hundred acres surrounded by Los Padres National Forest. They plant winter wheat on it, and it has a couple bulldings on it with electricity (restrooms with hot water and showers!), a trap range, rifle and pistol ranges, covered picnic/eating area, etc. Lots of quail, I hear.

I was bored last night, so I went over to the club and shot a bunch of rounds through my new .270 WSM. (I discovered anything over 66 gr of RL-19 with a 130 gr bullet is too hot. So now I have to pull some bullets. :BLEEP: )

Anyway, this club is great. I will not mention a name, as they keep a low profile and the membership is very limited. I wish I had known about it years ago!

About three or four years ago, before i came to moosies, I talked to a guy on a reloading forum from California that belonged to a club with a hundred yard underground range. He was hunting pigs with his daughter I think. I think the range was made long ago with pipe from the highway department. He said you would never get permission to put one in today.
The high today was in the single digits with below 0 wind chill most of the day. An underground range would be great. You are lucky!!!don

Good on you Rick. Sounds like a fantastic set up.

The family and I drove down to Disney Land last week. LOTS of people in your area. I-5 was a parking lot.

While there I visited my brother who is a dental student at USC. He lives near the La Brea park. His neighborhood is interesting..... I think I'd keep a 12 guage handy.

And you didn't call or anything, Tyson!!!! :eek: I am only about 5 miles from Disneyland! Diane and Mikey even have annual passes. We could have at least bought y'all dinner.

I thought about you when we passed the La Palma exit!

Going was a spur of the moment decision with the job change coming up......We only had 4 days to enjoy the sun and Mickey.

Pocahontas was a real hotty.

That sounds like a dream place Rick....
It is a little chilly up here quite often while the wind is whipping over you as you try and get another shot off.... :)

The only other places around are at least 30-40 miles away. There used to be one indoor pistol range fairly close, but they were sued for discrimination by some anti-gun a$$ over having a "Ladies' Night" when women shot for free. The guy couldn't afford to fight it, so he declared BK and closed shop.

There is only one outdoor range with long-range rifle facilities within 50 miles, and the City of Azusa is trying to shut it down. A developer built houses a mile or so away, and despite signing statements that they were aware of the range, the new residents are pressuring the City to shut it down. Half the range is on BLM land, so it will be interesting to see what happens. Both the pistol club and the sportmen's club I belong to have contributed to the legal fund for this range to fight the closure.

So - having this place just a few miles from home is a Godsend. Besides, it is a group of guys that all love to hunt, shoot and fish, and it is nice to find like-minded individuals in So Cal.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Juicer52
Back