Caribou Gear Tarp

I bought a double...now what?

If you need to change the LOP that much, definitely go with Graco adjustable pad rather than unsightly spacers, etc. Will absolutely NOT hurt the resale value of a Beretta! If anything, it will enhance it. They aren't cheap but for a quality gun like that, it's a good investment ... but only if you are sure you will need that much adjustment.

I would definitely have gone with Graco but no way to install it on hollow plastic stock. Since my "Black Not-Beauty" now weighs approaching ten pounds even with plastic, I just don't see me going back to wood unless laminated ... and then the weight would be unbearable.

Last edited:
Beretta, 20ga w 28" barrels. Takes Beretta mobilchokes so I can change them out as conditions require, but will plan for M over IC as a starting point.
Most situations that will do you fine. For late season pheasants over a flushing dog I would advise having an optional full choke for twenty gauge. The birds are more inclined to run and jump rather than hold. For any waterfowl hunting, have modified in both barrels of twenty gauge.

The thinking behind shooting bottom barrel first is less muzzle jump allows for split second follow up shots with upper barrel. Split second follow up shot looks impressive ... when it works ... which is very seldom for most mortal men. Perhaps it is more important for double trap where fast follow up shots out of twelve gauge O/U are essential. But a good shooter at double trap does nothing but shout "pull" and trip the trigger simultaneously. Without oscillation he knows exactly where the first target is going. Wide open choke allows him to shoot the target the second it clears the house, pretty much without even looking! Then the challenge is getting on the second target after recoil from first shot. Less muzzle jump is important. In the field the shooter should be devoting just as much time getting on the second shot as the first one. Muzzle jump, especially for a 28" O/U twenty gauge will be negligible. Long story short (for me? ... c'mon man!), it won't make any difference which barrel you shoot first. Take your time and make them both count.

Enjoy your Beretta. I have the same gun, only it's a 12. Its been my go to gun for 30 years or so.

I have tried every choke combination at one time or another. I have settled on modified in the lower barrel full in the upper barrel. I also use 5 shot for pheasants.

Here is my rationale, your's might be different. When birds become jumpy, when I am approaching one of my dogs on point, I have the full barrel selected, in case the bird(s) flush wide. Once I get a bit closer, I select the modified barrel.

I have not found the modified barrel too tight for my hunting. I hit what I shoot at most of the time and the birds aren't shot up badly. Any shot I take with the full barrel will likely be 40ish yards or a bit beyond.

Regarding getting a fever for a SxS, if you shoot the Beretta well, the fever for a SxS will subside. Why spend good money on a gun that makes hitting what you are shooting at more difficult.

Enjoy your Beretta. I have the same gun, only it's a 12. Its been my go to gun for 30 years or so.
Thanks. Testimonials like that are a big reason I went with the Beretta 680 series.

Thanks all for your thoughts...hopefully Lola and her new shotgun make some appearances in the feathers and wings threads this fall!

It is shameful and criminal to put a slip on recoil pad on a nice over under. IC/Mod.
No, it's not. It is shameful, in your dog's eyes, to miss a bird you would have killed if your gun fit.

Putting a really nice leather pad on a gun is not hard for the average guy. Even I can do it and I'd be happy to coach anyone that wants to try. Does take a few tools (belt or disk sander) and some effort to build a jig.

Whatever you do, don't embrass your dog. :)

Thanks. Testimonials like that are a big reason I went with the Beretta 680 series.

Thanks all for your thoughts...hopefully Lola and her new shotgun make some appearances in the feathers and wings threads this fall!

We must be on parallel tracks. I have a dog named Lola also. She is now an old lady but she has given me so many wonderful memories.

From back in the day when she was coming into her own.
501E013A-491B-40C0-A2D6-8B75642E497A_1_201_a.jpeg

The next step after buying an over under is drinking port and wearing cashmere cardigans while extolling the virtues of a double over pumps and semiautomatics in front of a lit fireplace. Until, of course, you buy a side by side when your next step is drinking sherry and wearing cashmere turtlenecks while extolling the virtues of a side by side over an over under. Chokes don't matter. Birds die out of respect.

The next step after buying an over under is drinking port and wearing cashmere cardigans while extolling the virtues of a double over pumps and semiautomatics in front of a lit fireplace. Until, of course, you buy a side by side when your next step is drinking sherry and wearing cashmere turtlenecks while extolling the virtues of a side by side over an over under. Chokes don't matter. Birds die out of respect.
I have been shooting doubles for 30 years. I have zero cashmere or turtlenecks of any type and I don't drink sherry. Must be missing out.

But I am cooking 3 ruffed grouse for dinner tonight. Must be doing something right.
20210925_150903.jpg20210928 Gus and a Ruffed Grouse.jpg

That junker probably cost considerably less than the OPs Berretta, just about all of the new autos. It's just a clunker, but it kills stuff. Most importantly, my dog loves me :).

I have been shooting doubles for 30 years. I have zero cashmere or turtlenecks of any type and I don't drink sherry. Must be missing out.

But I am cooking 3 ruffed grouse for dinner tonight. Must be doing something right.
View attachment 229445View attachment 229446

That junker probably cost considerably less than the OPs Berretta, just about all of the new autos. It's just a clunker, but it kills stuff. Most importantly, my dog loves me :).
I'm just talking shit until I inherit my dad's Red Label.

1. What's wrong with fireplaces?
  2. And good ports are amazing
  3. But, yeah, sherry is for the tea parlor set ;)

Your brother got me hooked on that Belgian red swill too, great choice!!! Good choice in guns too. Get it fitted and burn a few cases up on sporting claysamd your dog will thank you this fall. I'd lean toward lt mod/mod for roosters out of a 20.

FWIW, the only ruger red labels worth carrying are the 28 gauges.😁

Dang nice looking gun, bought a red label nib.years ago anniversary edition with gold inlay. Never shot it sure would like too, but it's in the investment part of the safe....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Uncle_Danno
Back