PEAX Equipment

Hunting packs that fit petite women

Imhj01

Hello everyone, so I am looking for some help in finding my wife a suitable day pack similar to the Sitka Flash 20. I have purchased a few and all have been epic failures because they just don’t fit. My wife is about 5’4” 120#s and we just are not having any luck and we don’t live close to anywhere that sells decent packs to go try out. Is my best bet going to like an rei and just getting a backpacking bag? Any advise would be great. Thank you in advance

Maybe take a look at Mystery Ranch. I saw they have updated Women's packs that might be smaller...the Pop Up would make for a great day pack. A lady friend who is taller but just as thin uses the Selway and seems to like it.

Maybe take a look at Mystery Ranch. I saw they have updated Women's packs that might be smaller...the Pop Up would make for a great day pack. A lady friend who is taller but just as thin uses the Selway and seems to like it.
Thank you for the help I will take a look at those. Thanks again

Look at Osprey packs, they make 2-3 womens sizes, take the measurements they suggest and purchase the right one. My wife and sister have a couple and love them. Don't get hung up on it being a "hunting" pack. IMO the only difference is the weight capacity, and for a women's pack most any of the backpacking type packs will handle as much weight as she can pack. Not saying she's not tough, but I doubt she's going to be strapping on a 100lb moose quarter. My wife has packed moose/caribou/sheep/camp in hers, up to 60+/- lbs as easily as she can pack that much weight, zero issues with the pack.

Look at Osprey packs, they make 2-3 womens sizes, take the measurements they suggest and purchase the right one. My wife and sister have a couple and love them. Don't get hung up on it being a "hunting" pack. IMO the only difference is the weight capacity, and for a women's pack most any of the backpacking type packs will handle as much weight as she can pack. Not saying she's not tough, but I doubt she's going to be strapping on a 100lb moose quarter. My wife has packed moose/caribou/sheep/camp in hers, up to 60+/- lbs as easily as she can pack that much weight, zero issues with the pack.
Yeah I was thinking of going that route good to know they are capable to carry that much. Thank you

Yep

Yeah I was thinking of going that route good to know they are capable to carry that much. Thank you

Most packs will have a recommended rating on weight, also you can ask the rep/manufacturer. To be honest I've used some pretty cheap packs to haul a lot of weight, and they didn't implode, they are just painful. The waist belts are usually pretty squishy, and the shoulder straps/lifters are awful. 60lbs isn't that much weight for a pack. I used use a really cheap internal pack I bought as a kid to haul meat, the straps finally ripped off (more like rotted) while packing a large mule deer buck out one day, easily 80-90 lbs in the pack that day (one of many heavy loads). It was a glorified book bag, actually used it as such in college. The whole hunting pack craze and the weight they can pack is more of a gimmick/selling point than reality. Most people will never truly test the capability of a pack.

I still use my Kelty backpacking pack. The options available for women are so much better in backpacking gear than in hunting gear. It fits me, it’s lighter than a lot of the damn heavy “hunting” packs, and it was less than half the price. It’s packed plenty of deer and elk with no problem.

I still use my Kelty backpacking pack. The options available for women are so much better in backpacking gear than in hunting gear. It fits me, it’s lighter than a lot of the damn heavy “hunting” packs, and it was less than half the price. It’s packed plenty of deer and elk with no problem.
Thank you. I think next time we go to the cities we will have to stop in and try some out. Thanks for the input from everyone!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Infraredice
Back