Hunting Idaho

Dustinjanc

Trying to find a good spot in Idaho to hunt mule deer. My buddy and I are wanting to backpack in the high country or hunt the wilderness. We have never hunted Idaho we usually hunt California but there are just no deer in our state. Please give me some advice I'm open to anything thanks. We really don't know what units we should put in for and what ones are good for general season.

Trying to find a good spot in Idaho to hunt mule deer.

Aren't we all :)

My advice:

Stay in California! I couldn't resist, sorry :eek:

Check out the Idaho Fish and Game website, they have all the stats for success, draw odds, etc. It's not a direct relationship but if a hunt has 3% draw odds vs 30% you can see how people are voting which is "better" with their application money.

Scout. If you hunt early (Sept-Mid Oct usually) the bucks will be near where they were in the summer. If it's a late hunt they could be 50 miles away to where they rut and winter.

Just do it. Hunt and learn an area, may take a few years but even in crowded OTC areas people kill great deer consistently.

Good luck, maybe post up some info about yourself and others will chime in.

Good bucks in almost every unit in Idaho. 90% of these units are OTC as well.

As mentioned above, just pick a unit and learn the area really well then you will have a place to go hunt each year with your buddies and shoot respectable bucks.

Idaho's F&G website is the easiest to navigate compared to most of the states' websites IMO. Get on there and research the hunt odds for the draw units.

Shoot me a PM if you want more info.

Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Killcarp2
Back