Hunting burns for elk

Rcfireninja

How old of a burn are you looking for? The area here in South Dakota I see elk in, had a burn 18 years ago. I have some places in Montana picked out that burned 5 years ago, last year, 15 years ago, 12 years ago and 5 year ago. They all range from valleys, ridges, flats and very steep mountains to right by a road. I remember reading that you want at least 5 years I thought for the grass and junipers to come back to provide some cover for elk to feel comfortable in the area.

I am going to focus on the burns from 5-12 years ago that have water at the bottom of the valleys and some thick forest still close by that they can bed in to go out to the burns to feed.

Anyone have advice on this for me????

Thanks.

Chris

Burns can certainly have some good feed after the canopy has been opened up. I have found that elk are where you find them, much varies year to year with snow pack, spring rains, how hot a summer is, more fires etc. I find lots of glassing, and lots of miles covered works best for me, once I find where they are, then I hunt. Glass first few hours of the day, hike, then glass last few hours is pretty much the routine.

I've learned from Randy on this and also just exploring myself. The first year after can be good if it didn't burn too hot. A burn is good for 10 years at least. You want to pick the newest burn. It's a good idea to think of escape cover nearby but they sometimes will bed in the wide open in a burn if they are away from roads.

Caribou Gear

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back