Hunt with MatchKings?

Calif. Hunter

Why? I see this all the time on various forums, and people are adamant that they work just fine. Yet Sierra repeatedly says "They are not designed for hunting." I read people saying stuff like "They're a hollowpoint so they are designed to expand." Wrong - they are a hollowpoint simply to balance the bullet and place weight to the rear of the bullet. The jacket is not designed to expand and is, in fact, thicker to prevent deformation.

It's like these people want to act like they know than the guys who design and build the bullets. Is the slight edge in accuracy worth the lack of performance to them or what? They will say things like "They have killed every deer or elk I have shot with them." So would a fullmetal jacket or a .30 Carbine round - - eventually. They never mention how many animals they have possibly shot that just bolted, never to be seen again and die a slow death...

Just a pet peeve, and I'm venting. :mad:

Know what you mean CH. If all we need was just one bullet for everything. Why would they go to all the R&D and testing to make all those different kinds of bullets! Me I pick the bullet for the task at hand!
Mike Murphy

Cali your right.. But there is one hollow point that is great for hunting.. Thats a berger match bullet. I wouldnt use them in a 300 mag. but for smaller cals. they work pretty good...
Delw

I wasn't saying that hollow points aren't good, just that MatchKings aren't designed for shooting into animals. :D In fact, Sierra says that their "toughest" bullets are their hollowpoint GameKing bullets. Isn't the Combined Technologies FailSafe also a hollowpoint?

Like I said, just griping.

I thought the "Ballistic SilverTip" was their polymer-tipped bullet? (I know they are made by Nosler, but they "say" it's a joint effort of Nosler and Winchester/Olin)

The Failsafe and the Ballistic Silver tip are both made by Nosler and loaded and marketed by Winchester Ammunition. The Failsafe is what's refered to as a 'protected hole point' bullet. There is a hollow cavity in the nose to start expansion, but the jacket of the bullet closes over the cavity.

The Sierra bullet has a cavity which is not covered buy the jacket and there is no lead under the front end of the jacket. That shifts the center of gravity back and makes the bullet more stabile for long distance shooting. It also has a very long ogive and an exaggerated boattail to reduce drag...All of which lend a tendency for the jacket and the core to separate on impact. That is one of the worst things that can happen to game when hunting.

The third member of the Combined Techology trilogy is the Gold Partition bullet.

:cool:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back