Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Howdy from CO/NC

CORN

Howdy!

I grew up in the Appalachian mountains in NC (born in GA), ended up getting hitched to a gal from Fort Collins and moved to Colorado Springs.

Didn't grow up hunting, an army buddy took me on my first trip last year (3rd rifle). The weather was in our favor and I saw a lot of elk, but never got close enough to fill my tag. I did have a nice muley walk out on me though while trying to get to an elk I'd glassed, sucker's curiosity got the best out of him and he stepped out to take a good look at me and I couldn't pass up the opportunity.

Even without the bonus of harvesting the muley, elk camp was one of the best weeks of my life - I was hooked! The camaraderie, being outside all day everyday with a rifle, the strategy and thrill of the hunt, I don't see how I lived 27 years without it.

This year I'm making up for lost time with 3 week long hunts. Two in Wyoming for deer/antelope, one in CO for elk/deer. Gonna be bringing a couple non-hunters along for the antelope hunts, Randy got me inspired with all his talk about how the future of hunting is dark if we can't replace the aging generation with more hunters/conservationists. Looking forward to learning and participating in the conversation with you all!

Nice buck!

Thanks for doing us all a service and introducing some new folks to hunting

That is a nice mulie that will make all of us jealous.

I am a Colorado native originally growing up on farms near Fort Morgan and eventually moved to the northern suburbs of Denver mainly in the Thornton area. Met a lady from Cheyenne so now I am a Wyoming resident and love it up here besides hating the liberal politics of Denver and Boulder controlling the rest of the state.

Elk can be hard to hunt. You let them detect you whether it be by eyesight, smell, or hearing they will distance themselves from the perceived danger.

There is a lot of deer on Fort Carson. Too much hassle to hunt on base. When I tried there were too many times range got closed for various reasons plus all the silly classes you had to attend at weird hours. I can tell stories about that hunt. They don't close the range to training. Hunters and military training often went on concurrently.

There is a lot of deer on Fort Carson. Too much hassle to hunt on base. When I tried there were too many times range got closed for various reasons plus all the silly classes you had to attend at weird hours. I can tell stories about that hunt. They don't close the range to training. Hunters and military training often went on concurrently.

Funny you mention Carson. I've debated back and forth whether I want to go through the hassle

Back