Howa 222 mini action

PAGOAT

First I'd like to thank Randy for having such a great site and Howa for supporting his business and the site. I won in November a Howa mini action 222 from hunt talk, after getting the rifle I had shot some PPU ammo in it to break in the barrel, that ammo did well for that but was floating around the 2" group at 100 yard range. I then shot some Hornady superformance 50 grain in it and it is now around 3/4 to 1 inch. This all shooting off of my pack at the range as I try to shoot the way I will be hunting and not in a lead sled. That said I really like the rifle and would recommend this one to anyone looking for a nice varmint rifle but I did shoot a ground hog in my yard the other day and I'll say the Hornady load is not going to be fur friendly. I never really looked at them before but now I think I want one in 308. It is a nice light rifle that just feels good in my hands.

Goat

Last edited:
Awesome round, thanks for the report. I shoot the .222 out of a old Remington 788. It's a tad heavy, but the accuracy and performance on prairie dogs is outstanding (40 grain Nosler over Accurate 2015.) The mini in .222 is on my short list.

Glad to hear it worked out great for you. I have the same rifle and it is very fun to shoot.

Been looking at picking one up in a 204 to go in my pack for the trapline. Only thing holding me back is I wish they'd make a floorplate for them as I think the magazing hanging down will hang up in my scabbard and then the magazine will fall out. Is it easy to bump the magazine release on these mini actions?

I do think the magazine drops out kinda easy, once I get home from working on my other house I'm going to order the 5 round mag for it so it's not sticking down so far. An option to put a floor plate in would be great yes.

Goat

The floor plate would be a nice option. I looped a heavy rubber band through the trigger guard and flipped the loose end over the magazine.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rifleman270
Back