How to drive in PHX.,AZ

cjcj

1. You must first learn to pronounce the city name. It is:
“FEE-nicks". There are other names to learn such as Ahwatukee (Ah-wah-TOO-kee) but those will be included in the advanced course.

2. The morning rush hour is from 5:00 am to noon. The evening rush hour is from noon to 7:00 pm. Friday's rush hour starts on Thursday morning.

3. The minimum acceptable speed on most freeways is 85 mph. On Loop 101, your speed is expected to at least match the highway number. Anything less is considered "Wussy".

4. Forget the traffic rules you learned elsewhere. Phoenix has its own version of traffic rules. For example, cars/trucks with the loudest muffler go first at a four-way stop; the trucks with the biggest tires go second. However, East Valley, SUV-driving, cell phone-talking moms ALWAYS have the right of way.

5. If you actually stop at a yellow light, you will be rear-ended,
cussed out, and possibly shot.

6. Never honk at anyone. Ever. Seriously. It's another offense that can get you shot.

7. Road construction is permanent and continuous in Phoenix. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting.

8. Watch carefully for road hazards such as drunks, skunks, dogs, barrels, cones, cows, horses, cats, mattresses, shredded tires, squirrels, rabbits, crows, vultures, javelinas, roadrunners, rattlesnakes, and the coyotes feeding on any of these items.

9. The Maricopa Freeway, The Papago Freeway and the "I-10" are the same road. SR202 is the same road as Loop 202 and The Red Mountain Freeway. SR51 is also known as Piestewa Parkway, but no one can pronounce Piestewa so it is still called by its politically incorrect former name, the Squaw Peak Parkway. Dunlap and Olive are the same street. Jefferson becomes
Washington, but they are not the same street. Loop 101 is also known as the Pima Freeway except when it is west of I-17. I-17 is also The Black Canyon Freeway and The Veterans Memorial Highway. The Loop 303 does not loop anywhere. Lastly, Thunderbird Rd. becomes Cactus Rd., but Cactus Rd. does not become Thunderbird Rd. because it deadends at a mountain.

10. If someone actually has their turn signal on, wave them to the shoulder immediately to let them know it has been "accidentally activated."

11. If you are in the left lane and only driving 70 in a 55-65 mph zone, you are considered a road hazard and will be "flipped off" accordingly. If you return the flip, you could be shot.

12. For summer driving, it is advisable to wear potholders on your hands.

13. True Phoenicians ALWAYS seek to park in a shady spot, even before the sun has risen, and no matter how far the parking space is from the office/store/restaurant. This is why you will see cars widely scattered around a parking lot instead of clustered in one place; these people arrived early to park in covered spaces or under trees.
14. If the driver stopped in front of you at a red light suddenly opens his passenger door, it is advisable to quickly avert your eyes before he spits out his chewing tobacco

cjcj,
7. Road construction is permanent and continuous in Phoenix. Detour barrels are moved around for your entertainment pleasure during the night to make the next day's driving a bit more exciting.

That crap would work in my town too. It's crazy sometimes to see the barrels up for weeks with no one working on a project.

You wimps should try driving in So Cal.
Coke snorting moms talking on cell phones and driving Hummers always have the righ of way. They will shoot you before you cut them off, just because you were thinking about it.

A-con...they are spreading North from low-Cal...just had some idjet crash his car (and die) the other night on I-5. On investigation it "appears" as if he was using his laptop while driving up the freeway |oo

A-con...they are spreading North from low-Cal...just had some idjet crash his car (and die) the other night on I-5. On investigation it "appears" as if he was using his laptop while driving up the freeway |oo

Heck Marv, I'm in marketing. Part of the test to get the job is to type, and E-mail a lie to twenty people while doing 80 mph in rush hour traffic. Do it while eating a burrito and you’re hired! :eek:
I still say coked up soccer moms with .357s are the most dangerous, them beochs don’t believe the lie!

You'd be lucky to make it to your car with out getting shot in Baltimore...

Bambi, didnt you get the Kevlar memo in the welcome packet when you arrived in Baltimore?

Heck Marv, I'm in marketing. Part of the test to get the job is to type, and E-mail a lie to twenty people while doing 80 mph in rush hour traffic. Do it while eating a burrito and you’re hired! :eek:
LMAO:D :D

Sounds like all the big cities are a "war zone":)

Moosie, glad your back.. or at least checking in on the BOYZ.;)

I agree with the post. I'm a No. Cal native, and when I moved to Phoenix 9 years ago I noticed some major differences in the way people drive here. Here are a few observations:

1. People drive fast - real fast, and most drivers don't tolerate anyone driving less than 5 miles over the speed limit. As was mentioned in the previous post, move over and don't honk your horn or you might get shot!

2. If you're driving in the slow lane and going too slow, the driver behind will switch to the left lane, pass you, then swerve back to the slow lane ahead of you (I call it an Arizona pass). If you were in that big of a hurry, what were you doing in the slow lane to begin with?

3. People are driving all hours of the day and night, even on Sundays. I'll be leaving at 5 am on a Sunday morning for a hunting or fishing trip, and I'm amazed to see others not wearing camo or towing a boat on the road. I'm tempted to roll down my window and ask, "where the heck are you going this early on a Sunday morning?"

4. Pedestrians definitely do not have the right of way. If you're walking across a parking lot, you best be ready to stop in your tracks to avoid getting run over because drivers are just too busy talking on their cell phones or texting their boyfriends to notice your existence.

Don't get me wrong, I consider myself an Arizonan now and I've probably picked up some of these habits myself!

KP

Try driving in New Jersey, where we have every nationality under the sun behind the wheel. Orientals the worst, followed by Mexicans, Pakistan, Afghans, Iranians, Iraqis, drive so slow they couldn't hurt anything if they do hit it. Eastern Europeans and Canadians drive the speed limit in the Hammer lane. Mexicans, and Ragheads never have insurance, registration, drivers license or Greencards.

GOHUNT Insider

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Caleb_u
Back