How much shooting?

I'm more like your dad. I pull my 30-06 out and shoot it to make sure its still on and that's the majority of my shooting (still have 6 of the 10 boxes of corelokts I bought 7 years ago). Now days since my two boys are getting into it I check their guns and let them shoot. I should throw in that I bow hunt 90% of the time these days. I do shoot a rimfire at squirrels a good bit.

This year I will shoot a little more especially at distances 200-400 for my trip to Kodiak.

This year once a month, I try to get my main big game rifles to the range. I usually only do 1; 5 round group with both. Just something to stay comfortable with my main two. I probably have shot around 600-700 rounds of 223 at prairie dogs as well this summer. But what I shoot the most right now is 22lr. My wife and I have been shooting either Steel Challenge or Rimfire Challenge almost every week. She will not hunt and does not like rifles. Pistols are a another story, so this gives us a way to shoot together.

Last edited:
Since fishing for some reason has become a rarity, I try to stay shooting fairly often to try and hang onto some sanity. I really enjoy PRS style matches and shooting, as well as hunting rifles. I go through 2,000+ rounds across my centerfire rifles, 223 through 375. The main range near me has steel out to 1,225 with an alternate spot that goes out to 2,000+ yards.

Reactions: Guy
I go to the big range about once every 4 weeks (I'd go more if not for time and family constraints) and shoot 20-40 rounds with my current hunting rifle, but never at less than 200yds. Since I moved I'm able to shoot my .22 rifles in the yard and do it often, up to 100yds. I've found that proficiency with my rimfire has carried over to my centerfire rifles and made me a much better shooter.

I wonder what the overall average rounds fired is for most hunters. I think those responding on this thread are not even the norm for this forum, just those interested in target shooting and extending out their range.

I think over the last 10 years I have averaged somewhere around 30 rounds per year with my big game centerfire rifle, about the same with my .223 black rifle and probably about the same with my .22. I might be underestimating because a while back I gathered up some brass to sell for my 7mm Rem Mag which I had only had for 5 or 6 years and I had over 200 once fired brass at the time so that would be closer to 40 rounds per year. I probably average 100 rounds a year with my shotgun with 95% of those at live targets.

I'm definitely switching to firing my .22 more often now and am pushing 100 rounds per year with it right now and would like to increase that as I am trying to get my son to shoot more. We have a solid 100 yard range at our house which works well for figuring out what ammo each gun likes and also for the .22 shooting. I need to put a better scope on my .22 because I think that would help make that more like shooting the bigger guns for my son, the one on it now is pretty crappy.

I need to setup a 300 yard range at my house and start working it more.

I wonder what the overall average rounds fired is for most hunters. I think those responding on this thread are not even the norm for this forum, just those interested in target shooting and extending out their range.

Shooting my rifle is kind of a logistical hassle, over the last 5 years 30-50% of the shoots I have taken out of my rifle and shot gun have been at animals.

I've probably shot 40 rounds in 3 or 4 years.

Honestly if I'm going to target shoot I would rather do it with a bow anyway.

Back