Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping System

How close is to close

BT_NVhunter

So I’m planning my hunt for August mule deer here in NV. The area I’m hunting is fairly wide open except in the drainage fingers and north slopes. I drive an 03 dodge 2500 diesel and she’s loud like semi loud. My question is how far from the base of the drainages you are glassing do you guys try to be as a rule of thumb. My primary plan is to hike up an opposite side canyon ridge. From there I can glass pretty effectively about a 10sq mile north face with multiple drainage fingers. I plan to be at trailhead at 330am to make my hike, however there is another spot where I could drive into the canyon and hike up a south facing drainage to the top of the same ridge to glass from. It would take about 2 miles off and put my truck closer so if spotted I can drive out and further down to make the hike up the ridge side they are on. But if my trucks gonna run them all into cover from hearing me coming in, in the dark then what’s the point. Thanks for any input.

So I’m planning my hunt for August mule deer here in NV. The area I’m hunting is fairly wide open except in the drainage fingers and north slopes. I drive an 03 dodge 2500 diesel and she’s loud like semi loud. My question is how far from the base of the drainages you are glassing do you guys try to be as a rule of thumb. My primary plan is to hike up an opposite side canyon ridge. From there I can glass pretty effectively about a 10sq mile north face with multiple drainage fingers. I plan to be at trailhead at 330am to make my hike, however there is another spot where I could drive into the canyon and hike up a south facing drainage to the top of the same ridge to glass from. It would take about 2 miles off and put my truck closer so if spotted I can drive out and further down to make the hike up the ridge side they are on. But if my trucks gonna run them all into cover from hearing me coming in, in the dark then what’s the point. Thanks for any input.
There’s no real rule of thumb. You’ll end up trying to park far away and someone else will just drive right to where you wanted to anyways. Might even be one of the few ones driving in a buck might just stare at you like “what’s that noise”

I agree with Chris, move into your area early…. Minimal disruption from your truck. I like your plan to hit the ridges and glass

The wind in the area is actually reverse most the time of what I expect. So I have two plans for morning two for afternoon depending on the wind direction.

I say get one of those fancy electric trucks. I hear under 5 MPH the are nearly silent. You might be able to sneak up on one. 😉 My favorite is when you see guys drive there big old trucks to the trailhead and when they bailout they say " don't slam the door". Like the animal only cares if it hears the door slam shut. I have and old diesel truck also and I plan on being early and hiking. It's the best I can do right now. Good luck on your hunt.

Your biggest problem is the hunters on atv's roaming off road everywhere.
Pretty safe from that as there are aspens lining the creek at the base. It’s so thick it’s hard to walk through let alone get an ATV through. Most of the walls are steep like roll your 4wheeler backwards steep. That’s part of the reason I picked the area.

There’s no real rule of thumb. You’ll end up trying to park far away and someone else will just drive right to where you wanted to anyways. Might even be one of the few ones driving in a buck might just stare at you like “what’s that noise”
I agree with your statement here about other hunters bumbling into areas just because there is a trail.

Several yrs ago we were elk hunting MT and found a nice group we were hunting for a few days. We parked about 1/2 mile from the turn (about 1 mile from where we planned to get eyes on them) to try to keep from pushing them out. Weekend rolls around and we are walking into the area (after the turn which is a road closed during season) and driving up behind us came two guys in their new, lifted keep rubicon and and both guys were all fully decked out in Sitka gear. The drove by us and waved on their way to the top of the ridge above where we were seeing the elk filter out of each evening. We didn’t see any elk in there again after that. Public land…it kinda is what it is.
Sounds like you have a good spot that will at least limit all but the most ambitious guys. Good luck!

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back