home archery shop?

MThuntr

Anyone doing their own archery work? This includes basically everything from cutting arrows & adding D-Loops to cam timing and string replacement...all this requires specialty tools that the average guy doesn't usually have like an arrow saw and bow press.

Locally there is a gal that has a small shop but she can't afford to have much in stock for supplies so she has to order it. The nearest "pro shop" seems to not be interested in assisting with things like cam timing and tuning and they'd rather have you spend $ on a new bow. This comes to me as I now notice my string is due for replacement and I'm considering dropping down 1/2" in draw length. Wishful thinking?

I do my own bow work. Honestly Mthuntr most of it is not that difficult. The only thing I can think of that would be a big ticket item would be a bow press if you have a bow that requires one like a Bowtech. I use a portable cable press to do all my work (I have 2 Hoyts, Parker and Mathews in the family). Like almost everything these days youtube can be a really big help in learning. Replacing strings and bus cables is not a big deal. String serving, D loops and laying in peeps and string accessories are pretty easy things to learn. Cam timing can be specific to a bow but there are so many videos out there for individual tutorials. Fletching arrows requires a fletching tool but they are not that expensive. You can cut carbon arrows and make your own jig very easily if you have a bench grinder.

I use to take my bows into the shop for years thinking it was rocket science until I got brave enough to work on my own stuff. It's like anything else. Once you learn how to do it its pretty easy stuff. Saves you tons of money and always comes in handy in the field it seems when someone in the hunt party has a bow that has a problem.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a very crude, simple but works fantastic Arrow cutting jig made from a bench grinder and a wood clamp. Small hole drilled into the wood clamp handle allows the knock of the arrow or without knock to fit into and rotate freely. Just clamp the wood clamp on the bench to the desired length and make quick work out of a dozen carbon arrows. All identical in length and ready for inserts.

jq7dAtMBQZqwcYC25VUICw.jpg

fullsizeoutput_40b.jpeg

I have a complete pro shop setup in my basement and do all my own work and I do bow setups/tunes for friends and anyone that asks.

It wasn’t cheap to have everything, but I’m glad I did as in the long run if you do a lot of bow tinkering like myself then it’s worth it IMO.

Just this past summer I bought an archery designs draw board which was the last piece of the puzzle to complete my basement pro shop.

Reactions: Guy
You can buy as you need from most used/cheap to least used/expensive. IMO in order: basic hand tools, arrow level, fletching jig, arrow saw, bow vise, bow press, diy draw board and serving jig. For top quality stuff, all in well under $1k. For me it took piecing together for over ten years and it more than paid for itself. Very few pro shops will do more than a DL module swap and set a center shot. Every year its probably 20-40 hours getting my bow just how I like and no shop would make money doing that. I also like to shoot a bunch as I'm setting up and tweaking so it might be an hour or two for a couple days.

If you're specifically wanting to do a string job first then bow press is all you need but a drawboard is cheap/nice to have to know the real draw length, draw weight and get an initial on cam lean before you start tuning. You can work around buy using tape on an arrow to mark where its at and have someone watch you at full draw. Also if you happen to need a part like cam modules pro shops will order whatever you need but bow manufacturers wont sell direct.

For specifics over the years here's what I ended up with that pretty much covers anything you'd ever want to do. May start making my own strings this year so may add more later:
Allen wrenches, d-loop plier but often just reuse pliers from the garage. You probably have this stuff laying around a'ready
Cheap apple string and arrow level bubbles and bow vise. Probably going to upgrade the vise but its a minor inconvenience.
Bitzenburger jig and additional helical clamp. If youre using blazers the arizona ez mini is the way to go though.
Cabelas branded arrow saw. Pretty sure its really weston relabeled. For carbon arrows I'm too cautious and they arent that expensive to try the diy route.
EZ green press -- This is probably the best purchase I've made. Used portable presses for years but with my recent bows having beyond parallel limbs theres no way to make it work safely. With a press everything goes a lot quicker and you dont have to take off string stops or worry about a finger slipping as much. There's a few portable presses like synnum that might work too but figure its a once in a lifetime purchase and after getting one its amazing how much easier it is to work on a bow.
DIY draw board -- Plenty of plans out there. Its a nice to have and can build one for under $100 but takes up space and isnt used as much as the other stuff.
Beiter Serving Jig -- Rarely used since I swap strings yearly anyway and havent had issues with separation or nock fit. Probably start using it if building strings.

I can pretty much do everything I need to on my bow at home. I keep in my bow case a very small tool kit to make repairs on my bow while I'm in the field, that way I may lose an hour or two hunting rather than days because it's at the local archery shop. The only thing I don't do is cut my own arrows, and I don't see the point in doing that either, since most shops will cut them to size for you when you purchase them.

Do all my own work.
Built my own press from internet DIY plans from another site. Way cheaper than buying a good press. Works great
Bought arrow saw. Like doing everything myself and not having to go somewhere for stuff or deal with the pro shops attitudes

I continue to accumulate new tools and learn how to do stuff myself. I do everything with the arrows and really the one big tool to get next is a press. I don't mind the cost of a pro shop but I have never found anyone who puts the same level of care and attention into my equipment as I do so I'd prefer to do my own work even if there is some trial and error involved

Thanks guys. Valuable info here. I have a small tool kit but not 100% dedicated to my archery gear. I think a dedicated toolkit will be first and I'm sure I have the gear to build a drawboard in my basement. I'm really still thinking about getting an arrowsaw because I get some deals via Promotive/ExpertVoice on arrows and 2 dozen will basically pay for it.

Thanks guys. Valuable info here. I have a small tool kit but not 100% dedicated to my archery gear. I think a dedicated toolkit will be first and I'm sure I have the gear to build a drawboard in my basement. I'm really still thinking about getting an arrowsaw because I get some deals via Promotive/ExpertVoice on arrows and 2 dozen will basically pay for it.
If you come across any archery tools on expert voice let me know I would appreciate it. I am looking for a press but I have not seen anything on expert voice.

I do all of my own work, but really need to a real archery press. I’ve got by with some sketchy setups using homemade jigs and ratchet straps. I realize I’m flirty with disaster every time.

If you learn how to tie nots, loops, and serve, you can do 90% of what you will ever need and it’s very practical.

The other thing I can’t recommend enough is building your own arrows. It is fun, practical, and yields a product that is best for you. And I can tell you that I build arrows better than every clerk who cuts arrows at Cabelas, Bass Pro, or Dicks.

I built my arrow saw for $30. I used a high speed harbor freight craft saw and replaced the metal blade with a cutting disk then built a jig that locked it all together.

Start with an Arizona EZ Fletcher and you are in the arrow building game for $50.

I used a Bow Medic Field press that catches the limbs and the tips, Tipton ultimate gun vise and a second ratchet strap to comepletely tear down my bow, remove/clean the cams and replace the string. It helped to first turn down the poundage as much as possible, I can turn my Mission ballistic down from 70# to 50#.
I had never done this much work on my bow before, Youtube is great for learning to tie D loops, tie in peep and rest cord etc. It was a great sense of accomplishment and confidence. I took my time, paid attention to detailand now with the new strings, my bow is shooting better than new and faster. Next step is finding or building an arrow saw.

Back