Gastro Gnome - Eat Better Wherever

High dollar fluid heads. Why?

Duck90

Hey fellas, like many of you I'm redialing in my gear for the rockies this year. I've upgraded binos, went with Maven B2s 11x45s. I have an outdoorsman bino adapter on the way and have a camofire gem in a vanguard veo tripod and fluid head. I like the set up, but curious whether or not a upgrade would be beneficial. For the higher dollar fluid heads: if I am only running binos on the tripod, would I notice much of an improvement? Or are the more robust fluid heads catered more towards the heavier optics like spotting scopes and giant cameras?

That's the line of thinking I had, just wanted some verication from someone who has a bit more of expirence.

+1 on what Schaaf recommended. Use what you have for now and if you start using it for photography/video or a big spotter, then look into an upgrade.

+1 on what Schaaf recommended. Use what you have for now and if you start using it for photography/video or a big spotter, then look into an upgrade.
That's what I was hoping to hear. That extra money will be going towards my credit card bill if I draw a couple of the tags I applied for. Thanks for the help

+1 on what Schaaf said. I'd include camera/filming equipment with big spotters though too, whether it be digiscoping or just straight camera work.

Have the Sirui VA5 head and love it. Excellent for gridding with binos and awesome when I switch to my spotter. Much better than the previous heads I’ve used. Picked it up for $150 on amazon a couple yrs ago. You don’t need to spend the money of a manfrotto, gitzo, or outdoorsman

Have the Sirui VA5 head and love it. Excellent for gridding with binos and awesome when I switch to my spotter. ...$150... don’t need to spend the money of a manfrotto, gitzo, or outdoorsman

I have the same. Great product and it doesn't break the bank. I agree, I have no need for the high dollar models.

Back