Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

High country weather forecast tools

sacountry

Looking for people's favorite weather resources for back country weather, specifically in Montana. Input?

I like the NWS (weather.gov). You can click any point on the map and get a 7-day forecast for that point. They have an app that I haven't tried yet, but I know it does point forecasts as well. I just bookmark the URL for the point I'm interested in.

Example: here's the forecast for Freeman Peak northeast of Salmon. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-113.70096445083615&lat=45.27446363836722#.X3KtE2hKgdU

Note: won't do you any good without cell service. I usually take a screenshot of my phone screen just in case.

My gramps always used to tell us when we were out chasing walleyes on Lake Erie (70's-mid 90's)where we couldn't see land " keep one eye on your rod and the other on the horizon." The western basin of Lake Erie is relatively shallow compared to the eastern and the waves could stack up in a storm in a heartbeat. His words stick with me today whenever I am outside. You can tell alot from just the clouds and wind patterns.

As for a weather app I love wonderground.

I like the NWS (weather.gov). You can click any point on the map and get a 7-day forecast for that point. They have an app that I haven't tried yet, but I know it does point forecasts as well. I just bookmark the URL for the point I'm interested in.

Example: here's the forecast for Freeman Peak northeast of Salmon. https://forecast.weather.gov/MapClick.php?lon=-113.70096445083615&lat=45.27446363836722#.X3KtE2hKgdU

Note: won't do you any good without cell service. I usually take a screenshot of my phone screen just in case.

Here's a pretty cool tool created by @Jelf. You can zoom in and click on any NWS forecast office to get a pop-up with a link to the forecast discussion. Clicking "Basemaps" in the upper right corner will give you a list of additional overlays to choose from. Only the top (last) layer added is clickable. In the case of the version I've linked here, that is the forecast discussion overlay. You can change the order of the overlays to make a different layer clickable.

I've been burned by so many weather forecasts I almost don't look. Just pack enough to survive and if it gets too sketch bail. They can't get the forecast right at my house, how the hell are they going to get it right in the mts? My go to is the clouds and a barometer (you phone has one). You can tell a lot, but it takes a while to build the mental dataset.

Back