Help with a first time elk hunt

That's a lot of advice. I'll have to digest it a little bit. I'm not really planning on just walking in and walking out with an animal (cow or bull) on my first try. I've known other people that it always seemed to work out like that for; but it hasn't been me yet. I would also hate to have a great opportunity, and no tag to go with it. A lot of the point for me is to get the experience necessary to be successful in the future. I don't want the first time to be the last time, and feel like I do right now about having no clue.

My first instinct on the family was not to take them, but if they're willing; I might be able to plan something fun out for them. I'll probably give the hunt planners a call and see what happens.

But like I say to my soldiers sometimes, "Whatever I need to tell you for you to make progress; imagine it was said, and make progress." Perhaps I'll take my own advice.

Good luck! As far as family goes, think worst case scenario weather wise. If you think they can withstand wind and rain and snow and possible sub freezing conditions by all means. Ive been miserable in those conditions and it was just me.

Great advice so far. Pick a spot anywhere in western CO. Hopefully someone can message you a good place to start, being military and a good family man at that. My free advice is after a couple days if you need to recharge go to town, get some food, do some light shopping or find some hot springs. Then head back to the woods. Do not head back to Missouri earlier than planned.

That's a lot of advice. I'll have to digest it a little bit. I'm not really planning on just walking in and walking out with an animal (cow or bull) on my first try. I've known other people that it always seemed to work out like that for; but it hasn't been me yet. I would also hate to have a great opportunity, and no tag to go with it. A lot of the point for me is to get the experience necessary to be successful in the future. I don't want the first time to be the last time, and feel like I do right now about having no clue.

My first instinct on the family was not to take them, but if they're willing; I might be able to plan something fun out for them. I'll probably give the hunt planners a call and see what happens.

But like I say to my soldiers sometimes, "Whatever I need to tell you for you to make progress; imagine it was said, and make progress." Perhaps I'll take my own advice.

Check your PM :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nickcowart
Back