Caribou Gear

Helly Hanson

PAGOAT

Who wears the Helly Hanson rain gear and what ones do you wear ? I'm looking at the different bibs they have for a moose hunt this fall. I have packable rain gear to keep in my bag for showers but though of these in case of all day rain.

I wear hh jacket and regular pants except when I have waders. I've used them in a couple major hunting trips and quite a few backpacking trips.

I know they are pretty dang popular in Alaska. Personally, i haven't had any high end rain wear to compare them to. You probably realize they are not breathable and fairly heavy. But they don't soak through, they are pretty rugged, and are reasonably priced especially in off colors online.

The main issue I have with mine is where the sewing likes to come unsewn. The material is fine so I will either resew myself or hire someone.

All in all I am happy and the popularity amongst the locals speaks for itself. But they aren't without their hangups like anything else.

Last edited:
Helly Hansen Impertech bibs & coat, is what I pack. I wear knee boots. They make a 3/4 coat, supposed to work well with hip boots. Showers will wet the brush, you'll get wet moving through it.

I switched from Gore-Tex to Helly Hansen Impertech for fishing and it's great stuff. I still have my Cabelas Space Rain for throwing in the backpack, but if I knew I was in for an all-day soaker the Helly Hansen would come out for sure. You'd certainly sweat in it if doing any amount of physical activity, but you will in Gore-Tex rain gear as well. At least I know water won't soak through the HH like it has every single expensive piece of rain gear I've ever owned.

HH Impertech. I've had mine for 10+ years. Its got some wear and tear from abuse, but its still the best set of rain gear I own. I purchased mine while living in AK, and it was perfect for use up there.

I have not used it but a buddy of mine who makes several trips to Alaska each year says the guides and people there use it because it is so tough.

Back