Hello from the Yukon River

Hello to you sir. One day when I grow up I hope to have the opportunity to visit your playground! Seriously, it is the tip top of my list of must have hunting experiences...I dont even know/care which species I end up after. It isn't just the hunt, it's that place, every photo I've seen, video I've watched - its magnetic to me.

What’s this “Sir” stuff, you’re making me feel old! 😁

Don’t wait too long. I always recommend making the trip to Alaska when you are young enough to get out and experience it, not just look at it through the window of a tour bus. We only get so many trips around the sun and I don’t remember anything about a guarantee regarding the number of trips. I decided I was moving to Alaska when I was nine years old. Didn’t get here until I was 27, but I found a way to make it happen. Now, having spent most of the last 20 years in the bush, I can’t imagine what my life would have been had I never taken the plunge.

What’s this “Sir” stuff, you’re making me feel old! 😁

Don’t wait too long. I always recommend making the trip to Alaska when you are young enough to get out and experience it, not just look at it through the window of a tour bus. We only get so many trips around the sun and I don’t remember anything about a guarantee regarding the number of trips. I decided I was moving to Alaska when I was nine years old. Didn’t get here until I was 27, but I found a way to make it happen. Now, having spent most of the last 20 years in the bush, I can’t imagine what my life would have been had I never taken the plunge.
Advice I intend to heed sooner rather than later. Currently working on a "two year plan". I've been leaning toward Caribou in the 40 mile, but like I said, I'm pretty much game for ANYTHING (so long as I can figure out a way to afford it). Any suggestions from your perspective?

Got out a few times on the river, mostly sight seeing. As it was such a short construction season we were working long shifts so never had much time.

I would love to get back, still kicking myself for not catching a Sheefish.

Back when I was living on the road system near Fairbanks I used to hunt both the fall and winter 40 mile hunts. I know it’s much more crowded than it used to be and I thought it was pretty cozy back then. I guess it partly depends on what “affordable “ is? Do you have a way to get here using frequent flyer miles? Just that savings alone can free up most of the money for a fly in hunt. Caribou along the road can be good if your fit enough to do some real walking and maybe bring a packraft or come up with a way to get water between you and the road that atv’s cant cross. Just keep in mind you’ll have to get back when water levels could potentially be much higher. As you know, people are inherently lazy would much rather ride than walk. It’s also possible they have non motorized areas for that hunt now which would be great, but you’d need to research it. If I remember correctly, they used to have a non motorized 40 mile hunt off the Taylor highway. I’d certainly check with 40 mile air in Tok and Coyote air out of Coldfoot and at least get their pricing for a drop type hunt. If you’re not set on caribou, there’s a lot of ways to do a moose or black bear hunt that’ll give you more elbow room and potentially be much cheaper. Would you be doing this hunt by yourself? Or would you have someone coming with you?

Stillkickin. There’s a good Shee fish spot about halfway to the bone yard from Tanana. Too bad you weren’t able to get out more. Work always seems to get in the way of fun.

I heard about that spot, we had planned on going down to the boneyard one day also.

Weather was bad so we had to reschedule but never did get to it.

Work happens, but still have Sheefish high on my bucket list.

I got permission from the commander in chief to mention this, as I didn’t want to step on toes or over step any bounds. If you’re ever looking to come back up for some Shee fishing feel free to drop me a line. My wife and I own a lodge and can certainly help you out with that. www.yukonriverlodge.com

Is Charlie Green still running the river up there by Galena these days? Boy what a character he is.

Thanks, it’s been a lot of work over the years getting this place built and up and running. I landed here with a boat load of tools in spring 2006. Put up a 10x12 wall tent and started working. Almost all of the materials were milled on site. It’s been quite a project.

Welcome aboard from Idaho. Looking forward to seeing more pics from your neck of the woods!

Thank you all again for the warm reception.

winter is still hanging on here, but breakup should only be a few weeks away. I’m ready to see moving water out front again.

Here’s a few taken during breakup last year.

5882B5A8-F502-4C90-86E3-6CF12D76E9F1.jpeg7E4DAA00-9533-4054-BAAB-0A95356F0680.jpegD43563C4-51F8-477F-86F9-6B1AA41F7C52.jpeg

Attachments

• B3CF629F-C01E-4BFD-BE89-B5F7A44AC5A9.jpeg
    B3CF629F-C01E-4BFD-BE89-B5F7A44AC5A9.jpeg
    1.9 MB · Views: 2
Back when I was living on the road system near Fairbanks I used to hunt both the fall and winter 40 mile hunts. I know it’s much more crowded than it used to be and I thought it was pretty cozy back then. I guess it partly depends on what “affordable “ is? Do you have a way to get here using frequent flyer miles? Just that savings alone can free up most of the money for a fly in hunt. Caribou along the road can be good if your fit enough to do some real walking and maybe bring a packraft or come up with a way to get water between you and the road that atv’s cant cross. Just keep in mind you’ll have to get back when water levels could potentially be much higher. As you know, people are inherently lazy would much rather ride than walk. It’s also possible they have non motorized areas for that hunt now which would be great, but you’d need to research it. If I remember correctly, they used to have a non motorized 40 mile hunt off the Taylor highway. I’d certainly check with 40 mile air in Tok and Coyote air out of Coldfoot and at least get their pricing for a drop type hunt. If you’re not set on caribou, there’s a lot of ways to do a moose or black bear hunt that’ll give you more elbow room and potentially be much cheaper. Would you be doing this hunt by yourself? Or would you have someone coming with you?

Stillkickin. There’s a good Shee fish spot about halfway to the bone yard from Tanana. Too bad you weren’t able to get out more. Work always seems to get in the way of fun.
I sent you a PM regarding above...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
atlasbranch
Back