Hello Fellow hunters from the Buckeye state

kellerdairyhunter

Hello one and all. I am a student at Ohio State, studying animal science. I plan on Graduating this fall. Next fall I want to go elk hunting! I hunt deer right now with slug gun, and bow. But, what bigger and better to hunt. I have loads of questions that i want answers for, and I was told the experts are on here!
My first question, What state would you recommend a person like myself to hunt buying an over the counter tag, or left over tag, to try elk hunting for the first time, what season would you go, and what weapon would you recommend??

Welcome! Colorado has an OTC archery elk season. It's either sex. You can also buy a cow only archery tag for much less. I'd do the cow tag to get started learning an area so that you're not out too much money if you're not successful. Plus the season is a month long and in better weather and the elk start to get vocal.

Welcome. Hands down is Colorado! Plenty of OTC tags, the largest elk population in the nation, with well over 300,000 elk. Do your homework and you will have a great experience. I'd say archery but I'm biased towards it! Less people is my thing but don't get me wrong, you will see plenty of other people, even if you pack in 4 miles. Good Luck Hunting!

OH! I was born and raised in Montana, but my entire family is from Columbus. MT is definitely worth a look! Heck, for a couple of student section tickets for The Game this year I might even give up a few secret spots ;)

Welcome, always good to have a buckeye on board. Another couple of months and it will have been 10 years since I graduated from OSU, that makes me feel old.

Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back