Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Helicopter Hog Hunt Crash

Brauee20

Initial Report:

"On January 9, 2021, about 1010 central standard time, a Robinson R44 helicopter, N322SH, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Albany, Texas. The pilot and two passengers were not injured. The helicopter was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 hog hunting flight.

The pilot reported that it was the third flight of the day and the helicopter took off uneventfully. About 120 ft above the ground, the engine sputtered temporarily before it lost complete power. The pilot performed an autorotation to a field. During the descent, the helicopter impacted trees and landed hard right skid low. Subsequently, the main rotor blade contacted, and separated, the tail boom.

The helicopter has been recovered to a secure location for further examination."

Crazy first person view, and a hell of a job by the pilot. 120ft isn't a whole lot of altitude to set up autorotation with large power lines on the nose at failure.

Wow, guys a so lucky. Nice job Pilot.

Step 1 - feel all over your own body to make sure it's all there
Step 2 - Thank the lord you are still alive
Step 3 - throw those underwear away

I would say the last statement on the video was very true.

I have auto rotated several times and been apart of many hard landings, that was as soft as most normal landings i been a part of...lol. that little lightweight helo helps! glad they are safe

Yikes. Back when I was occaisionally involved with helicopters around rescues, resupplies, etc. the local wisdom was that the pilots who came out of the military were scary good and the rest were scary bad. I'd bet $1.50 that guy flew in the service.

Initial Report:

"On January 9, 2021, about 1010 central standard time, a Robinson R44 helicopter, N322SH, was substantially damaged when it was involved in an accident near Albany, Texas. The pilot and two passengers were not injured. The helicopter was operated as a Title 14 Code of Federal Regulations (CFR) Part 91 hog hunting flight.

The pilot reported that it was the third flight of the day and the helicopter took off uneventfully. About 120 ft above the ground, the engine sputtered temporarily before it lost complete power. The pilot performed an autorotation to a field. During the descent, the helicopter impacted trees and landed hard right skid low. Subsequently, the main rotor blade contacted, and separated, the tail boom.

The helicopter has been recovered to a secure location for further examination."

Crazy first person view, and a hell of a job by the pilot. 120ft isn't a whole lot of altitude to set up autorotation with large power lines on the nose at failure.
Dang, that's harsh. I hope he's got some kind of coverage for his rig. Glad everyone's safe.

Sounded to my like a transmission chip alarm.....
Please don't diagnose a cause without good information and valid analysis. Gear box chip detector caution lights or alarms do not effect engine performance. "...engine sputtered temporarily before it lost complete power."

Any landing you walk away from unscathed is highly successful. Pilot did a nice job of autorotating at low level.

Straight Arrow, twenty year Army helicopter pilot, two-tour Vietnam Huey driver and maintenance test pilot, beaucoup autorotations completed, most for training or trouble shooting, but a few inadvertent.

This video led me down a helicopter rabbit hole yesterday. How about bailing out of a heli onto a stag in NZ in the 70's for a capture/wrestling match for your farming operation?

Please don't diagnose a cause without good information and valid analysis. Gear box chip detector caution lights or alarms do not effect engine performance. "...engine sputtered temporarily before it lost complete power."

Any landing you walk away from unscathed is highly successful. Pilot did a nice job of autorotating at low level.

Straight Arrow, twenty year Army helicopter pilot, two-tour Vietnam Huey driver and maintenance test pilot, beaucoup autorotations completed, most for training or trouble shooting, but a few inadvertent.

Thats what it sounds like to me and I wasnt diagnosing anything. I was simply mentioning that it sounded like a chip alarm because I have personally been in 500D's that made that very noise....and thats what it was every single time....

But, I am more sorry that you cant say anything on this site without some know-it-all coming behind you to lecture/scold you and tout their experience/accomplishments.

Thanks for your service.

Ever since I saw the first one of these hog hunting videos, I have thought this was only a matter of time. Flying nap of the earth and trying to put the gunners in range while tracking running hogs, both add complexity to the already complex task of flying a helicopter. I have seen good Army pilots skid in making gun runs flying OH-58s.

Kudos to the pilot, looks like he did a fantastic job....(y)

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
tvrguy
Back