Headed to SW CO for 3rd season

Bulldog0156

My friends and I drew third season deer tags for units 71/711 this fall. One has hunted NW CO for elk in the past, but I've never even been to CO; I figure it should be a fun adventure. We'll be taking the wall tent and setting up a basecamp to hunt from. I'm just looking for any advice anyone on here might have regarding these units. I've done a bit of homework and have already gotten some advice from someone on the forum, but I figure the more info I can gather the better. I'm still working on refining my questions for the local biologist and will hopefully give them a call in the next week or two.

Sounds like the orange army gets pretty thick in these units with lots of elk hunters and road hunters. It also looks like off-road game retrieval is allowed in a good portion of unit 711 on FS land which could make things interesting. I'm guessing there are plenty of folks that don't strictly adhere to the game retrieval regulations. We will be strictly deer hunting. I've found some good maps that have given me some ideas on areas to avoid. Looks like there are quite a few habitat types in these units as well which is kinda cool. Nothing to do with hunting, but it also looks like there is a ton of Native American history and evidence in the area with some cool ruins and things that I definitely want to check out while in the area.

I think we will most likely focus on unit 711 because the elevation is probably going to be a limiting factor on my friends. Anyways, just looking for any free advice that anyone might have to make it a better experience!

Back