Yeti GOBOX Collection

Hardwoods are BAD!

dgibson

According to this glorified advertisement for BASF products, the "encroachment" of hardwoods is largely responsible for the reduction in quail habitat. Since we don't allow forest fires to burn anymore we must start using handy-dandy BASF products to control the hardwoods: <BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>
Over the passage of time, a forest goes through a succession of stages, some of which are more well-suited to quail. Bare ground — such as an old, abandoned farm field — doesn't stay vacant for long. Mother Nature's aggressive band of vegetative squatters quickly invade and set up camp. The first green flush of weeds and grasses is soon followed by fast-growing pine trees. As a result, the first time the overgrown field really looks like a forest, it's covered with tall pines and beneficial plants and provides ideal quail habitat.

But if forest succession continues unchecked for decades, the pines gradually cede their ground to hardwood trees that choke out the beneficial vegetation. In the end, the pine forest will be replaced by a hardwood forest. That is, unless an outside force steps in to control the hardwoods and allow pines to continue their dominance, essentially freezing the forest successional clock in an earlier stage, one that is better for quail.<HR></BLOCKQUOTE> http://espn.go.com/outdoors/conservation/s/c_fea_BASF_quail_habitat.html

MY OPINION: Sounds like quite the oversimplification to me.
confused.gif

dgibson.....you are quite correct in your oversimplification statement.....biologists built small water catchments in Arizona, California and Nevada to provide the quail with water, but the practice was discontinued when a study revealed that the birds could survive perfectly well without such help....so here comes another catch all theory.......and ol' Bob.....them quail sure do love those honey mesquite trees, don't they......I guess BASF, in their infinite wisdom overlooked these hardwoods and their contribution to quail habitat and diet.
wink.gif

<BLOCKQUOTE>quote:</font><HR>dgibson.....you are quite correct in your oversimplification statement.....<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Does this mean Darren thinks some people are stupid
tongue.gif
biggrin.gif

ME? Think some people are a little less on the ball? Never!
redface.gif
biggrin.gif

Old Bob, you can't have too much mesquite down there because it's all up here in charcoal, marinades, barbecue sauces....
wink.gif

DG, if we can just find a way to market mesquite thorns we could make a zillion dollars off my place. Got my mule's tires nearly full of gorilla snot, but they're nearly solid patch plugs too. Next item, prickly pear, bring your semi's and we'll fill them up for you. Should be some use for prickly pear in KY. BTW, my wife just got back from KY, she has a friend there works for racing assoc. They had private appointments to visit some of the big farms and had some private showings and pictures taken with some $50-$70 million dollar horses. Sure would be expensive Frnch burgers!!! Bob

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-23-2003 10:33: Message edited by: BbarC ]</font>

Hey Darren......Thanks to Bob's generosity we can be rich......we will sell all those thorns as antique needles and make sunburn lotion from the Prickly Pear......OK Bob, go ahead and send all you can to Darren and I will begin on the marketing!
wink.gif

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 07-23-2003 11:04: Message edited by: whitedeer ]</font>

Ha ha...you bet. Oh, sorry, my storage facility is full, so you'll have to keep them. Can't you eat prickly pear (de-prickled, of course)? Let's make some jelly or something!
footinmouth.gif

And Bob, I'll never understand the racehorse industry...how someone can spend so much to buy and maintain an animal that most likely will never win back the investment is beyond me. That's a rich folks' game to be sure! I do wish I could make what those horses do to "put out," if you know what I mean.
hump.gif
wink.gif
biggrin.gif

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sept7872
Back