Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

Hand Priming Tools

Nodak Hunter

I was priming some .260 Rem cases this morning, and the handle broke on my Lee Auto Primer AGAIN. (Third time) I'm tired of the pot metal stuff they make this tool out of. I love the design and the "feel", but it's frustrating when this happens.

Since this has happened before, I always have a spare handle on hand, but I just don't feel like ordering another one.

Anybody out there use a different brand of hand priming tool? I know RCBS and Hornady both make one, but I've never fiddled around with either.

I like the control of a hand primer, so any experiences with different brands would be helpful.

Thanks.

Frankford Arsenal makes a great one. It comes in a kit with a bunch of shell holders and it is very adjustable.

I've had a Lee for many years, but I rarely use it.

I load all of my pistol, .223, and .308 shells on my Dillon. I like the speed of the Dillon, and even with the thrown powder charges and Dillon press primer seating, I get moa accuracy with my .223 and .308 loads.

I load all of my other rifle cartridges (.257 Ackley, 7mm RM, .300 Wby, and .375 RUM on my RCBS Rockchucker) and can get moa accuracy with all of them using the primer seater on the Rockchucker. So why bother with the extra step of hand priming?

The RCBS primer works well.
I'm on my second one. I use them for everything not shotguns. But I don't really like the way the trays work. They are a PITA to open and close without dumping, and the fall out of handle occasionally. The primers also jam in entering the chute to the handle, so the unit has to be tilted and shaken or whatever. Those issues can be worked around, but I feel they could be better - easily better. Still better than seating with a single stage press.

I've been using a cheap lyman one that uses reg shell holders for about 10 years and it has always served me well.

For higher volume loading, I use the RCBS bench mounted primer. It works great and I love it.

For low volume hunting rounds, I'll either use the primer on my single stage press or one of my Hornady hand primers. Both of those options work well and I've used them for years, but they really don't have that many rounds through them so I can't comment on durability. I can't imagine either system having a failure, though.

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bgeary
Back