PEAX Equipment

Grinding Pronghorn

FWIW, a little more time taken to butcher, but trimming off and discarding the tendons and fascia makes grinding much easier.......

Yes, this is a big part of it for us. We clean up the meat really well. We do not add any fat to it. Award winning tacos. :)

I grind it as is. I cube it so the grinder does not get clogged by connective tissue. When I cook it, I add a dallop of lard. This doesn't work well if you eat burgers a lot, but we mostly eat tacos, chili and spaghetti w/ meat sauce.

Yep, lard is what I use as well. Very stable for storage and easy to use. I pre cook a lot of meat in large batches and bag in 1 pound packs for easy use, tonight it was spaghetti. I mix in fresh home grown herbs for the spaghetti when I brown. I also do a mexican with taco seasoning, onions, and some home grown peppers. That is great on nachos, tacos, etc... Sounds very similar to what you do.

I killed my little Cabelas grinder last week on some partially frozen meat. Ran across a guy on e-bay selling the brand new Weston 32 grinders at NR, ended up getting one for $300. I can't wait to use it as the videos make it appear to be an absolute beast, one was feeding just deer ribs and it was powering right through it. I have been cubing my meat but I think this is going to minimize the prep time necessary.

I still cut out anything that has a lot of sliver skin, tendons, etc as my dog/cats eat all the trim. I freeze it in small ziplock sandwich bags. My dog stands out in front of the freezer every morning waiting for her meat.

Next up is a batch of summer sausage with jalapeno, chilis, cheese, and mustard seed. Hopefully have an elk to try this with soon.

Back