Greetings from CO!

USMClewis

Hey there everybody! I'm a pretty experienced east coast whitetail hunter but am completely new to western CO elk hunting. I've got an either sex elk tag for GMU 65, 1st season. I'm actually heading out there for my first scouting trip this weekend and would love to hear from you more experienced elk hunters. Looking forward to hearing from y'all!

Welcome, take 90% of what you know about hunting whitetails and don’t apply it to elk. Elk are their own animal and there is a steep learning curve. Do your research and watch a lot of Randy’s videos. Especially the gutless method. They are awful big when you walk up on them for the first time.

Also invest in good boots and a pack with a meat shelf. The military packs will kill your back. With the right pack you can keep on trucking on your 3 rd trip up the mountain.

That’s my lesson learned from 3 years ago in your shoes.

Welcome and post some pics of your adventure.

Welcome, take 90% of what you know about hunting whitetails and don’t apply it to elk. Elk are their own animal and there is a steep learning curve. Do your research and watch a lot of Randy’s videos. Especially the gutless method. They are awful big when you walk up on them for the first time.

Also invest in good boots and a pack with a meat shelf. The military packs will kill your back. With the right pack you can keep on trucking on your 3 rd trip up the mountain.

That’s my lesson learned from 3 years ago in your shoes.

Welcome and post some pics of your adventure.

Thanks for the advice! I figured hunting elk and hunting whitetails would be wildly different. I'm one of those neurotic people that likes to do HOURS of research before even stepping off so I'm pretty sure I've seen everything that Randy Newberg and Steven Rinella have put their names on so I feel pretty good about what I know on paper- but we all know that means nothing when compared to actually getting out there. I've got some good gear through work and personal investment... I'll never put one of those military-issued packs on my back again haha.

Hey there everybody! I'm a pretty experienced east coast whitetail hunter but am completely new to western CO elk hunting. I've got an either sex elk tag for GMU 65, 1st season. I'm actually heading out there for my first scouting trip this weekend and would love to hear from you more experienced elk hunters. Looking forward to hearing from y'all!
Just curious, how was your hunt? I hunted it in 2017,3rd season and pretty much saw no elk. I'm hoping to go on an elk hunt in 2020 and I'm trying to decide if I should try 65 again, pick a different unit or go to a different state entirely.

Just curious, how was your hunt? I hunted it in 2017,3rd season and pretty much saw no elk. I'm hoping to go on an elk hunt in 2020 and I'm trying to decide if I should try 65 again, pick a different unit or go to a different state entirely.
The hunt was a great time! Despite not seeing any elk. Saw a few tracks and some scat throughout the unit but nothing less than three or four days old. The coolest part was finding an area that elk had rutted heavily in, however since we were there for 1st rifle, we were a couple weeks late to the party. Naturally, since I applied for both elk and mule deer tags but only drew the elk, we ended up seeing more mulies than I've ever seen before. Maybe I'll get those mulie tags next season! Despite the tag soup however, it was a great first hunt!!

Leupold BX-4 Rangefinding Binoculars

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back