Caribou Gear

Great Hunt Today !!

George P

Had an awesome coyote hunt today.Now I know this isnt the varmit section but we do run them with hounds so figured a post here would be Ok,I hope.
Running coyotes with hounds here in New England is quite a bit diferent than most other places I guess.We hunt big country and mountains not flat open areas like a lot of other parts of the country.Believe me if we had that terrain here we would run it !!!
It is kind of like a cross between cat and bear hunting I guess,without the treeing of course.
We had 2 tracks running together from last night.They were stepping right in deer tracks.Turned 2 dogs loose there.they went right out opening on the cold trail.I zipped around with the snowmobile and got loaded up.When the coyotes get jumped they almost always head to a snowmachine trail to get out of the deep snow.
I heard one hound driving in my direction.Here comes the coyote about 150 yds in front of the dog.At 30 yds I give him a 3.5 inch load of TT shot.Bowl him right over.Then hes back up and running like I never touched him !!The dogs come through on the track and away they go.I figure they will catch him quick.Yah,right.3 hrs later we close in on them.Just my new dog still on him.Making 100 yd circles.
We all ease into the circle.The hound is barking every breath and twice in between.LOL.Here they come,coyote 3 feet in front of the dog who keeps lunging and biting him in the back legs.The new guy with us wacks the coyote with a 12 gauge at 10 yds right in front of the dog.scares the pi** out of me and my dog.Big beautiful red coyote.
I just bought this hound a couple of months ago.shipped it in from Kansas.She is by far the best all around coyote/fox/cat dog i have ever owned.It sure is nice to be treated fairly when you are buying a dog from someone you dont know.
Might have a picture tonight if I can figure out how to post them on here.Tobey,you will recognize Alan C in the pictures.

Good going George keep killing them coyotes You know we will never run out of them.If we had a nuclear Holocaust tomorrow the only thing to survive would be ****roaches, Ravens,and coyotes LOL.So you ready to sell me that dog???? LOL I bet he will run them bears real good too unless he gets onto a hot coyote track.

------------------
We having fun yet//Tobey

Hi Tobey,You know Tobey when I got her I figured I would run her throught he winter and sell her in the spring.I live in town here and cant keep too many dogs.I have really changed my mind now.She is definatly a keeper.She is the kind of dog that you can run solo ,start to finish.that is real nice when you are only able to keep a small number of dogs.
Doubt very much she will ever see a bear track.I know Nelson and some of the guys run running walkers on bears sometimes but I have always liked the tree minded dogs for them. .Just in case they ever get lucky and put one up.LOL Plus my dogs can screw up enough on their own without a coyote hound saying follow me.

I wondered if you were using your bear hounds for coyotes or NOT!! I figured if you were there was no reason I couldnt use my dogs for coyotes too, but that post explained it! Glad they stick to the cats !!!!! I had a coyote wreck once with my hounds but the coyote started it!!!! Then it turned into a full blow race to the finish with the coyote ul;timatly losing!!!!
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif
bcat

------------------
If you aint the lead dog the scenery never changes
bcatrunningcat.gif
Logoboy.jpg

Great story George! A good dog like that is a rare thing, and finding someone to sell a dog like that is even rarer!
wink.gif

Great story George!! We welcome all hound stories in here!! Don't you just love a good coyote race! I tried to run mine last sunday but, had no luck. Is your running walker registered? If so what does she go back to?

Yes Boomer she is registered but has no papers !!!One of those deals where the papers never got transferred.They even knew who she was out of and everything.I will probably have her spayed soon.
I dont raise pups so I really like a spayed dog.I cant stand the thought of losing a hound for 3 weeks during hunting season,especially bear dogs.I did put a hound on medication last year to keep her from coming into heat.It worked great but was exspensive and had to be given daily.
What do you have for hounds Boomer??

George I have two running walkers. They both have papers but, most of the time my hounds will just be grade. One is 4 years old and goes back to Hoener's Action Act and the other one is 7 months old. I have no idea as to his breeding. I traded a grade 2 year old for him as a pup. I haven't sent in the litter papers to get his pedigree yet. I have seen his mom and dad run and both do a good job. The mom especially. He is starting to run w/ the slower hounds pretty good. He can't keep up w/ my older one yet. She is OK as far as her running. I have seen alot better. I know what you mean about a female comeing in heat. They always come in right when you want to hunt them.

MB

Ollin Magnetic Digiscoping Systems

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back