Good glass is expensive, and I only take a couple of rifles on any given trip

I know everyone's set up is different, but my 1 rifle with a 20moa rail the scope bottoms out with the bullet hitting 4 inches high at 100yards. Given that I don't take very long hunting shots so I would not want that scenario on a hunting rifle.

If 1) you only have two scopes you are interested in taking, 2) the scope you would use on the varmint rifle has a magnification range suitable for deer, and 3) your primary deer rifle, your varmint rifle, and your back-up deer rifle all have pic rails, you should be good to go.

BTW, I have talked to guys who run coyotes with hounds in West Virginia. They said the coyotes run like rabbits, but in a bigger circle. They also said the shooting is fast and furious when a coyote comes by.

This is the situation I face. It’s probably 550 to that far edge. I’m hesitant to go walking around much, the deer bed on the surrounding hills in the grass. Many deer. The deer have come right by me from behind, running. It wakes me right up! White tails will usually come in from that far side.

Last edited:
Very Cool setup. I had a shooting bench in the top of a tobacco barn that overlooked a soybean field here in SC. Back corner of the field where a majority the deer came out was 518 yds. We killed a lot of deer out of that setup.

Just my opinion but I think concerning yourself so much with base's, rings and scope is a waste of time. What makes something good? What make's something, best? No such thing as best. I have a 2 3/4x Redfield on my 30-06 I bought new about 1971, still works great! Have a 3-9x Bushnell Banner on my 25-06 I don't even remember where I got it. Been on the rifle about 30yrs, is it junk? Not a chance, still works great. My own though is that to many people think they are getting something much better based on the price they pay. They say you should spend more on the scope than on the rifle. OK! I have a Mossberg Patriot with a newer Leupold/Redfield 2-7x on it. Got the rifle for $299 and paid about $150 for the scope, does everything I need. Is the scope no good because it cost less than the rifle? The base on that rifle is the one one it when I bought it! If you bought a new $2500 rifle, how much would a decent scope cost for it? How about base's and rings? I think all this garbage abut scope cost came about because everyone decided they needed a rifle to shoot 500 yds with, weather they could do it or not! This Picatenny rail. Worth the money? Not a clue! Most my base's are inexpensive Weaver's and the rifle's, for some reason I can't explain, still shoot very well!

I agree with the general ranking of glass in the budget. I use binos more than spotting scope so was easy for me to try and buy very, very good binos. I might spend 60 hours each autumn looking through my binos and seeing well at first and last light is key for how I hunt big game.

I use my spotting scope more than any rifle scope so was easy for me to try and buy a good spotting scope, tripod and head. I might spend 3 hours looking through the spotter.

I use a rifle scope in the field a few minutes each autumn. I get a good rifle scope but have never felt the need to get a goat rifle scope. By the time I am pointing my rifle at something, I only need to be able to acquire the target and settle in on the kill zone. I will splurge on triggers and a custom rifle which is easy as most years I am only using one rifle or perhaps two.

I've gone full circle on optics. I first only bought 3x9 scopes, then thought if I had more magnification, it will be an easier shot. These scopes turned out to be heavy and head placement had to be perfect every time with eye relief that wasn't as forgiving at higher magnifications. I've gone back to lower power scopes but with great glass. My two main hunting rifles carry Meopta and Zeiss. No parallax adjustment. Just aim and shoot. I personally think the long distance shooting craze is causing hunters to rethink their set up when IMO for most hunters, there is no need.
RESPECT TO THOSE WHO ARE long range shooters. But I prefer to get close . just more fun, imho. just love the challenge of stalking as close as possible . I seldom shoot an animal at a greater distance then 100-200 yards . my max is about 500 and I would only do that under certain conditions .
all my rifles have 3x9 leupolds , either vx 1,2 or 3 s.

RESPECT TO THOSE WHO ARE long range shooters. But I prefer to get close . just more fun, imho. just love the challenge of stalking as close as possible . I seldom shoot an animal at a greater distance then 100-200 yards . my max is about 500 and I would only do that under certain conditions .
all my rifles have 3x9 leupolds , either vx 1,2 or 3 s.

How would you approach the situation above? Or would you move on to a different environment with more cover. The surrounding areas not in the photos are about the same. There is an abundance of deer here, all sizes. Mostly white tails, but as soon as I say that, Muley’s will come in. It is not uncommon to see 20 or 30 deer during a morning or evening- I’m not saying they are all within ethical range:). The hired man/ranch manager has seen 100 at one time.

I have thought about putting a ground blind on the finger that sticks out on the far right side of the photo to possibly have more deer in closer range. But doing so would violate one of my main rules- “don’t screw with a system that is working fine”.

Last edited:
I would put a shooting bench or something similar in there.
Great idea! I think I’ll make one and maybe leave it there. Apparently, local children accompanied by their dads, grandpas or whatever use it a few times every year as well - getting a deer, if you are not particular, is usually ridiculously easy. They might enjoy having a bench as well.

I have put several 20 MOA bases on my hunting rifles to use the picatinny base rings for my scopes. I haven't found the need to use that extra 20 moa yet. I was able to dial just 22 moa to shooting steel 1k with a scope with 100 moa adjustment. I feel the talley one piece rings will do just fine on hunting rifles and have converted my hunting rifles to them to save some weight. Which I could do by just skipping the beer. Haha

How would you approach the situation above? Or would you move on to a different environment with more cover. The surrounding areas not in the photos are about the same. There is an abundance of deer here, all sizes. Mostly white tails, but as soon as I say that, Muley’s will come in. It is not uncommon to see 20 or 30 deer during a morning or evening- I’m not saying they are all within ethical range:). The hired man/ranch manager has seen 100 at one time.

I have thought about putting a ground blind on the finger that sticks out on the far right side of the photo to possibly have more deer in closer range. But doing so would violate one of my main rules- “don’t screw with a system that is working fine”.
grass actually looks pretty tall. not really that bad cover. I love doing the belly crawl stalks in terrain like that . have spent hours trying to work a mere 100 yards closer only to get busted in the end .
nope, it doesn't always work out . in fact , probably get busted as often as not . but when it does work out it is a beautiful thing

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back