Hunt Talk Radio - Look for it on your favorite Podcast platform

Goldenrod gun safe dehumidifier questions

A207X2

For those of you that are familiar with these, can you answer a couple of questions on them:

1. Do the Goldenrod dehumidifiers have an on/off switch or are they always on when plugged in?
2. I am going to need to leave this in an unattended gun safe in a secured storage facility that is NOT climate controlled. Can I just plug this in (safe has power inside it) and leave it on 24/7/365 or will that dry out gun stocks over time?
3. The winter temperatures at this location drop down into the teens in the winter. Will this be able to keep up with the relative humidity requirements of 45% - 60%?

I am also thinking of plugging the Goldenrod dehumidifier into a humidity controller that will turn it on/off based on the RH sensed inside the safe. This way the RH could be maintained by this unit turning the Goldenrod on/off (hence the reason for Question #1 above)
716nJPhxpLL._AC_SL1500_.jpg

Mine is “on” if plugged in. Have never felt/seen any damage to the stocks or grips. Regarding keeping up with your RH that’s going to depend on the rod size and how many CF you are trying to dry with it.

1. Always on when plugged in.
2. No it will not dry out stocks, etc.
3. Yes, it should.

It works by increasing the temperature of the air inside the safe, which lowers the relative humidity of the air inside the safe, which helps prevent rust. I’m not sure how effectively this will work with the humidity sensor turning it on and off. The rod never gets that hot to the touch and would therefore take a long time to heat the space back up when turned off then on again. Also I’m not sure how well it would work if it were in a non-climate controlled space that got very hot; if it’s very hot outside the safe, will the rod be able to make the inside of the safe hotter than it already is, giving the desired decrease in relative humidity?

1. Always on when plugged in.
2. No it will not dry out stocks, etc.
3. Yes, it should.

It works by increasing the temperature of the air inside the safe, which lowers the relative humidity of the air inside the safe, which helps prevent rust. I’m not sure how effectively this will work with the humidity sensor turning it on and off. The rod never gets that hot to the touch and would therefore take a long time to heat the space back up when turned off then on again. Also I’m not sure how well it would work if it were in a non-climate controlled space that got very hot; if it’s very hot outside the safe, will the rod be able to make the inside of the safe hotter than it already is, giving the desired decrease in relative humidity?
Thanks for all of the info.

I’ll be able to test it in person over the summer here. I don’t think I’ll need the electric hygrometer to turn it on and off.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back