Getting started as a kid

Akcabin

I remember back in the day when I could collect some returnable bottles or sell night crawlers next to the bait store. That was easy cash because he would by out my worms n I would buy my minnows n go fishing with both.
Or if it was hunting season I could buy a box of 22 shorts at the gas station for 50 cents. I still have my dads 22 Remington 511 he bought when he was 13. Mom hated cooking up squirrels complaining about looking like rats but it was food. I probably preped up a kazillon pan fish n northerns. She really liked those.
Stokely van kamps had food fields of green beans, sweet corn from the time they started to produce, mon liked all the turnips that fell off the turnip truck. Peas. We would load up n hit the woods. Sherwood forest. BB gun in hand coonskin hat ready to shoot everything that moved.
Dad finally bought us a $99 12' Jon boat. When I was in 8th grade. I would push it for a mile each way to use it on the lake. Balanced on a homemade trailer. Just to go fishing all day. Hey when I was a senior I did 52 overhand pull ups. Lots of rowing a boat. Dad in his lawn chair, radio on side beer on the other.
When it was bad wether I would fish the rivers. I remember a fishing tournament at the Moose club. Me n buddy Donny pull up in his rusted out $100 66 mustang. That Jon boat strapped to top right side up. When the registration guy said put this sticker on the side of the outboard I asked if ores count. We would have won that tournament but a big headwind came up and I had ores. 5 minutes late to the dock. But we had a good buzz on so another great day. Same guy I came to ak with n started hanging out in bars at are 14 with.
Then I got to Alaska. Got a job on the night I got here going to work as a forest fire fighter n got to travel around the state all summer. Lots of nights sleeping under a tree. I was in heaven, then I met the love of my life ♥
I'll get some stories out along the trail.

Back