Geared up for 2022

Hey guys and gals. The Kentucky Boys are geared up and ready for 2022. We had an awesome first hunt in 2021. We hunted elk. We saw several mule deer. We are applying for mule deer tags. It was challenging but rewarding learning a new style of hunting. Here at home I'm used to setting in a tree stand or a blind. We hunted unit 85. We stayed in LA Veta Colorado. We ate some great food locally and met some awesome folks. Let's talk I'm looking to learn.

Hey guys and gals. The Kentucky Boys are geared up and ready for 2022. We had an awesome first hunt in 2021. We hunted elk. We saw several mule deer. We are applying for mule deer tags. It was challenging but rewarding learning a new style of hunting. Here at home I'm used to setting in a tree stand or a blind. We hunted unit 85. We stayed in LA Veta Colorado. We ate some great food locally and met some awesome folks. Let's talk I'm looking to learn.

Which season did you hunt in 2021? Rifle or archery? Was thinking about heading to this unit for archery next year if I don't draw in a different state this year. Was going to pack into the wilderness area.

Which season did you hunt in 2021? Rifle or archery? Was thinking about heading to this unit for archery next year if I don't draw in a different state this year. Was going to pack into the wilderness area.
We hunted 2nd rifle season. I saw one elk. Honestly it happened so fast I was walking and bumped it out of it's bed.

From what I have heard the 2nd rifle can be tough in that unit. After the first few shots of 1st season they head for the large private ranches. That is why I was going to give archery a try.
It was very dry. This was my first experience hunting Western game. I'm learning. But I knew without water our chances were very slim. We kept getting mixed information about the elk had already came down. We were about to finish the week. We stopped at a small shop to buy our wives a gift. A lady approached me and asked if we had any luck. I said no mam and explained it was our first time and we were having fun learning. She says well they are up high. She said we normally have 250 to 300 on our ranch when they come down. That lady may not have been an elk hunter but I knew she knew exactly where the elk were located.

Sorry, that's just a running joke in my hunting group. The elk are where they are, but the locals will just about always tell you that they are "up high".

Sorry, that's just a running joke in my hunting group. The elk are where they are, but the locals will just about always tell you that they are "up high".
LOL. I gotcha. Sometimes I feel like I'm too trust worthy. I spend alot of time here on public property pointing people in the right direction. By the end of the week I felt like I was chasing a rabbit in circles that wasn't there. What I mean I talked with several Outfitters in the area while eating dinner at restaurants. I've decided that some where telling me wrong information simply because outfitting is their business. They weren't going to give me reliable information and take away from a client. Maybe I'm looking at it wrong. We had so much different information coming at us. We do appreciate everyone trying to help us with learning a new game.

I think the statement about them still being high is what locals say meaning that the bulk of population hasn't concentrated on winter range/lower elevations. Doesn't mean there's no elk down lower, because you usually will have some resident elk that stay somewhat lower or live completely on lower elevations/private property. But the bulk of public land bulls will stay high till deep snow drives them down.

I think the statement about them still being high is what locals say meaning that the bulk of population hasn't concentrated on winter range/lower elevations. Doesn't mean there's no elk down lower, because you usually will have some resident elk that stay somewhat lower or live completely on lower elevations/private property. But the bulk of public land bulls will stay high till deep snow drives them down.
I guess kind of like duck hunting in KY. You have your local waterfowl. As the weather gets worse up North it pushes the waterfowl south.

Save $100 on the Leupold VX-3HD

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
clamwc
Back