Fur ready to sell

How did you do?

I have a friend that just started trapping in NE and he thinks he will get $40-90/coyote pelt. Then I saw tanned coyotes at a sportsman's show for $90, so I figure there is no way he will get anywhere near the upper end of his price range.

How did you do?

I have a friend that just started trapping in NE and he thinks he will get $40-90/coyote pelt. Then I saw tanned coyotes at a sportsman's show for $90, so I figure there is no way he will get anywhere near the upper end of his price range.
I averaged 125 Canadian on the coyotes I had

I averaged 125 Canadian on the coyotes I had
Question for you guys that trap/shoot western coyotes: I've gotten back into predator hunting this year & I've heard the fur isn't as good in February for 'yotes? Truth or rumor? Cause I went out yesterday and shot a male that looked real good to me and plan to go out more this month and on into February.

Best way to find out is when I go to sell them huh?..

Generally true. Snow depth can cause rub on the fur that breaks the hair along the legs / hip / shoulder transition. Also some bleaching caused by the sun that fades the color contrast on the fur markings.

Generally true. Snow depth can cause rub on the fur that breaks the hair along the legs / hip / shoulder transition. Also some bleaching caused by the sun that fades the color contrast on the fur markings.
My theory is that coyotes will sit on their ass for a time and the guard hairs freeze while sitting. They stand up to move on and off goes the hair. Same thing with the hair around the shoulders and sides. That's caused when they curl up for a nap for a while then get up leaving hair behind as it freezes.

You can get lucky and take a coyote in the late winter that hasn't lost hair because maybe he likes to sit and sleep under dry trees, but probably not.

I'm totally with you on your theory. I was trying to keep the explanation kind of simple saying that snow can impact fur quality. Your explanation is a better representation of what is happening.

Years when you have frequent fresh snow they last longer. The hard icy crusted snow makes them go down hill fast cause they freeze into it. Generally pups and females go down hill first.

Use Promo Code Randy for 20% off OutdoorClass

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jack the bear
Back