Fun evening of catfishing

Wow! What a great time! Cats are sure fun to catch... Though I've yet to eat catfish I liked.
Must be an acquired taste cuz my taste buds catch a slight muddy flavor.

Really good time - especially with the kiddos!

Best method to prepare?

Wow! What a great time! Cats are sure fun to catch... Though I've yet to eat catfish I liked.

Best method to prepare?

We just fry them

Reactions: LCH

Best method to prepare?
I’m in the same boat with catfish, except flatheads. They are good chunked up and deep fried! I don’t have much experience with cats though since there are walleye, perch, gills, and crappie in the same waters I fish!

Put your Catfish in a cooler or big wash basin and let a garden hose run slowly
in it overnight,just to the point of overflowing.By morning all the mud and nastyness
will be flushed out.Some folks then soak the fillets in Milk.Good Stuff! :cool:

Catfish have been a big part of my guide business for the last 18 years. I always heard how good they were but I didn't see it. One bite would be good and the next would be strong. I started trying different things and eventually figured out how to handle them. Stick them to bleed out and put them in an iced box right away. Fillet them like any other fish then cut lenghtwise on each side of the lateral line membrane making a top and bottom loin. Turn the loin over and trim off about 1/8" of the outside of the fish removing any brown and glossy fat. Get it down to white meat as good as you can. One catfish will give you 4 strips or loins. This makes a world of difference in the taste. To really make them pop soak the strips in lemon lime soda for 30 minutes before breading and frying. This works really well with fish that have been in the freezer for a while.

All I've ever eaten are bullheads and they have never tasted muddy to me I guess you catch them in bad water you get bad fish! Hopefully one of these days the wind will slow down up in the gorge so I can try for cats up there, don't recall ever eating one. have fished for them up there, John Day river where it dumps into the Columbia. Caught a bunch of cats there in the past but always bullheads, go figure! Think I'll try hot dogs soaked on kool aide this time! Hard to believe what they catch the things on! Over on Brownlee several years ago I hooked one from shore at the old cemetery but lost it. Drag a bit to tight and the thing broke my line!

All I've ever eaten are bullheads and they have never tasted muddy to me I guess you catch them in bad water you get bad fish! Hopefully one of these days the wind will slow down up in the gorge so I can try for cats up there, don't recall ever eating one. have fished for them up there, John Day river where it dumps into the Columbia. Caught a bunch of cats there in the past but always bullheads, go figure! Think I'll try hot dogs soaked on kool aide this time! Hard to believe what they catch the things on! Over on Brownlee several years ago I hooked one from shore at the old cemetery but lost it. Drag a bit to tight and the thing broke my line!

We use shrimp. $6/bag of 30.

Back