Full Draw-How long can you hold it? PART II

Elkmaster

This subject has intense meaning to me,,,something you guys should be awear of;

I got a new bow,,,a MONSTER bow. I'm 6'6" and weight 265 lbs,,,,line-backer type. I got a bow with 100 lb limbs,,,,101.5 lbs to be exact,,and I have no problem shooting it. The second time I was practicing and was at full draw,, I was relaxing and adjusting my grip and really getting used to it. Well,,,I relaxed too much,,,when I unknowingly creeped forward, the bow took off before I could hit the release and I lost my grip with my left hand,,,,,,see where I'm going with this guys?? I use a free-flight 'glove-type' release which makes a good fist when at draw,,,,,the bow came flying back with all 100 lbs behind it and the cable guard (that 3/8 rod that holds your cables away from the arrow) went right between my second and third knuckle of my right fist and came out the back of my hand. HOLY CARP that hurt!!!. Went straight to the ER and had it x-rayed and 8 stitches,,,nothing broke but couldn't hold a pencil for 3 weeks. In hindsight, it could have been much worse. Now I use a sling around my bow wrist and I by no means relax when at full draw!! Live and learn guys!!!Make me the poster-child for archery mishaps!!

<FONT COLOR="#800080" SIZE="1">[ 12-09-2003 17:25: Message edited by: Elkmaster ]</font>

OUCH!!!! I dont know what you hunt that requires a 100lb draw but comfortable draw weight is an important subject to me as well. My first few bow purchases were heavily influenced by my own "macho" factor and were really not enjoyable to shoot for any great lengths of time. I bought a new Bowtech this year and for the first time am truly comfortable shooting and holding at full draw for extended periods of time. This has added another 5-10 yards to my comfort zone. Some amazing speeds are being produced in the 70 to 80lb ranges...not sure if they suit your hunting needs but I bet your hand would prefer them. Hope you heal up to finish the season.

buckfish,

I too shoot a Bowtech,,,so does my wife. I have the Extreme Solo Samson and she has the new Extreme VFT. Great bows!!

I mainly hunt Elk with mine and it is comfortable for me to shoot. I use in 3-D shoots where I shoot 70 to 80 arrows in an afternoon. I wanted the high poundage for 1) to make yardages less critical and 2) to increase the yardage I can shoot. I'm a disabled Veteran and I can't get around too well,,,,so I try to maximize the capabilities I do have. It comes in real handy,,,look at the Elk threads, I posted a picture of my latest Bull!!

I love my Bowtech too. I have the Stalker...I only hunt whitetails so I dont have much need for the Sampson. What type of arrows and broadheads do you use with that setup and how fast does that beast shoot?

buckfish,
I use Cabelas SST carbon arrows with Rocket Aeroheads Hammerheads,,,,,mech with 2" cut. My arrows are 520 gr and I get 336 fps,,,,thats 130 ft/lbs of kenetic energy.

This is the ultimate Elk bow!!

Thanks for the story Elkmaster. That sounds like soemthing I would do.
wink.gif

Back