Sitka Gear Turkey Tool Belt

FS Trail Designations

Bullshot

Hopefully someone can shed some light on the way the FS designates trails. We are all familiar with the signage at some trailheads that indicates hiking/ATV/Motorcycle/Bicycle uses, etc. Some trailheads have the hunting/shooting and fishing symbols as well. Not all. Likewise, when you research big game hunting on a forest's web page, it directs you to "big game hunting areas" and a list of trails, but not all trails in the system. What are they trying to convey here? I have always assumed and continue to assume that you can use any marked FS trail to access a huntable area - but why do they cherry pick which ones have signage or are included in their big game hunting area lists. I never actually HUNT from, i.e., shoot from or across a trail, maybe that is the distinction? I rather thought that was frowned upon generally as there are likely other users afoot, plus, its simply better off the trails, no matter how small they are.

All I can tell you is the trails that are listed as hunting areas directly on the website may be the best places to avoid!
Seriously though, as far as the websites are concerned maybe they list certain ones because they access the heart of the larger blocks of public land and potentially there is more hunter opportunity there?
In addition to managing wildlife many game agencies will tell you they are managing for maximum hunter opportunities. I think outlining specific trails etc on their hunt planner portion of the website is just a tool to aid in that.

Trails and roads are designated through the travel management plan, pretty much all trails are open to hiking/hunting if there are no area closures, but other types of travel are often restricted. You can get forest specific travel maps that show status of trails and roads.

The trails they list for hunting are going to be the most popular spots where they observe people access for hunting year to year.

If you're looking for explicit rationale pertaining to USFS signage, you're out of luck. The signage you see is less than half of what they'd like to put up, so they try to make it count where they can. Unfortunately, that leads to some pretty inconsistent experiences like you've been having. Just consider these signs and postings as kind of crummy helpful notes - the USFS is basically saying, "if you have exactly 0 imagination, these trails and areas are accessible and have game populations". Most hunters have at least 3 imagination, and know the rules well enough to know that if it's public land with no posted restrictions, you're set to go do your thing wherever you want. And when you get out there, you discover there's about a zillion trails that the USFS doesn't designate or publish on maps. Those are the really fun ones, lol.

Last edited:
Caribou Gear

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Leejones
Back