Flattops

Manderscheid

Planning a shed hunting/scouting trip to Colorado this spring. About how long should I expect to wait to look around in the Flattops area? Not interested in hiking in deep snow, but not afraid of a little.

I would not go until mid May,if you want to find any brown. Raghorns hold their horns for awhile in that part of world. Focus on south aspects with openings mixed with oakbrush.

Much appreciated, thanks! I was hoping for mid-April, shows what a flatlander from Iowa knows.

I camped up at 6800 last memorial day weekend and got snowed on the whole time. There was still 2 FT of snow up top. Getting up into the Flattops before mid-June can be challenging. Also, the public areas that the elk winter in that country (ie Oak Ridge, Jensen, Etc) are usually not open to the public until Mid-July. Also, very few elk, if any will winter in the Flattops unless we had a mild winter. We definitely did not this year. It can be done, but I would do a bit of research and know exactly where you want to go and call the FS, BLM, CPW ahead of time before you drive out from Iowa. I drove up to Meeker last year thinking I was going to shed hunt on Oak Ridge and come to find out it was closed until July 15th.

Thanks friend, I appreciate the advice. I have been doing a lot of researching so that I have other places to look if my first choices are undoable. Didn't know about areas being closed until mid-July, so I really appreciate your pointing it out.

Yeti GOBOX Collection

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hotdeals
Back